• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSB problems (high FSB)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
quick rundown of my sytstem

Barton 2500+ (1833MHz 166FSB)
Abit NF7-S (nForce 2)
Crosair XMS PC4000
Enermax EG365P-VD (365MAX 350watt PSU)

and the problem is, the higher I run my CPU clock, the lower my FSB can go.

For example
12 x 200FSB (2400Mhz), no problem, long term stablity untested
10 x 233FSB (2330Mhz) no post
10 x 230FSB (2330MHz) no post
10 x 225FSB (2250Mhz) posts, but stability is questionable
8 x 233FSB (1864Mhz) 100% stable

using LOW multiplier i can also post 260FSB
never tried to load an OS with that though.

But my problem seems to be the HIGHER i run my CPU clock, the lower I can run my system clock. tried the CHipset voltage all the way upto 1.7V (max allowed) with no luck.
Any ideas here?

why would i need to up the vcore to get a high FSB if the clock speed stays the same/is lower? If i can do 2400MHz with a low FSB, i shouldnt need a HIGHER Vcore to run 2330 on a higher FSB. Wouldnt it be my CHIPSET voltage that would need adjusting? but yes i have played with my Vcore...

RAM timmings are SLOW
left them on SPD or slowed them down evenmore....
right now on a 220FSB 3-4-4-8. RAM is running @ FSB speed and is rated for 3-4-4-8 @ 250FSB

Also tried my RAM upto 2.9V will no real luck.

Anyone have any specs on the nForce 2 chipset?
what is stock voltage? how mnay watts does it push out?
reason i ask is i got a 94watt pelt, and if i need to REALLY cool the northbridge to crack up the FSB, then thats what i got todo.

I have that same problem with my 1700 & nf7-s 2.0.

Stable: cpu-1500 (or so), FSB 230

Stable: cpu-2300 (or so), FSB 203

Unstable: cpu-2185, FSB 230

chipset voltage(vdd, vddq) is for higher fsb, 200, 210, 215, etc...
vcore is for higher total clock, 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, etc...
memory voltage is for faster timings

looks like I am not alone here .....

here are some more testings

memory = FSB
DDR 2.7V 3-5-5-9
Chipset 1.7V
Multiplier = 5x @ 1.7V

@265FSB black screen were OS should load
memory Voltgae raised to 1.9V
@260FSB Error on OS load C:\WINDOWS\system is missing or currupt
@255FSB Error on OS load C:\WINDOWS\system is missing or currupt
@250FSB Reboot when GUI pops up
@245FSB... typing this post
CPU-Z says FSB=246 CPU=12330.2Mhz DDR=492.1MHz
WCPUID says FSB=246.06 CPU=1230.06Mhz DDR=492.02Mhz
so basicly they read the same...

As for the PCI lock. I dont trust it. errors i was getting at 255FSB and 260FSB should like the PCI bus is too high.... but i am not 100% sure.
HDDs are connected to a Promise ATA 100 controller (33/66MHz PCI) modded for RAID.

Anyone have any oftware that works with the nForce chipset that read the PCI clock?

And another thing worth mentioning. When i set my Mem clock slower than my FSB i have problems. more testing needs tobe done

Molester said:
chipset voltage(vdd, vddq) is for higher fsb, 200, 210, 215, etc...
vcore is for higher total clock, 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, etc...
memory voltage is for faster timings

yes i understand that.
thats why i asked why upping my Vcore would help with a HIGHER FSB. As that is somethig you said i should try.
I can do 2400MHz with a low 200Mhz FSB
SO that same Vcore shouldnt have a problem running a CPU at 2330Mhz.

yes and no, the higher the fsb, the bigger the packet that has to be pushed, so again it needs more power to push that large packet

interesting...
its been a while since i could play with multipliers and FSB (P2 days 333 and 350 with adjustable multipliers and my k6-2 days)
didnt really find that a issue back then.. but that was a long time ago....

But regardless, more Vcore isnt really helping me...
8*240 right now...

i have the same problem. just bought new pc3500 ram cause i thought my pc3200 was limiting me. i get same results regardless of ram. i run 200x11 all day and all night at default vcore. however, if i climb over some invisible random wall in the fsb then i can't boot. if i run my system at 4:5 ratio then i can pass memtest with fsb 174 and ram at 435. i try to boot at 217x10 and can't. i upped the voltage from 1.65 to 1.725 and i can. for all my testing chipset voltage remains 1.7.

Guys it is a limitation of the chipset. This has been a known issue since the NF2's came out. Raise the VDD voltage and you should be able to get your FSB higher along with a decent multi. I ran my A7N8X Del with a VDD of 1.9V for as long as I had it, would run 230 x 11 no problems. I would search for a VDD mod for your board and see if that does not help things out.

Another couple of thoughts, how are your rails on the PSU? Seems a bit weak to push the CPU that hard. What rev board do you have?

i have the rev2 and vdd maxed to 1.7. my psu is 480w thermaltake and voltages are almost right on perfect.

anyone know where to find a vdd mod guide for nf7-s rev2??

I have same problem with FSB's,,, I've read that the bios option doesnt really work ..is that true? so it would need to be hardware modded..

Thunda :)

in my bios if i set to user select and then put to 1.7. when i go back and set to default it stays at 1.7 in the blue numbers taht you can't change. then when i put back to user it's still at 1.7. i'd say it's not working. plus my nb hsf doesn't even get hot to touch at 1.7.

I should have said this earlier, but I had already done the VDD pencil mod, which raised my VDD to 1.91. Those numbers that I listed earlier were the results after the VDD mod.

It didn't do squat for me. Should I go higher than 1.91? I have an old cpu heatsink/fan on the northbridge, so I'm hesitant to go any higher.

Version 2.0 for the board... havent looked at the northbridge yet so i dont know if its the CHIP with "ULTRA" on it or not...
currently pushing 9.5x246

Back