• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-7NNXP & Thermalright SLK-900A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Acid X

Is anyone using the Gigabyte GA-7NNXP mobo and the Thermalright SLK-900A together? My question is will the SLK-900A fit over the socket and not be hindered by any capacitors on the mobo? If so would the DFI NFII Ultra LanParty be a better choice? It looks like the capacitors are further away from the socket on the DFI than they are on the Gigabyte. My setup will consist of an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (400FSB) & either some Corsair TwinX1024-3200LL or OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Dual Channel Platinum 1024MB (512MB x 2 modules); I haven't decided yet.

Both boards have a drawback though; there are no mounting holes around the socket for some water blocks out on the market on both boards. (I do plan to water cool later). The other drawback is the DFI board has a combined IDE RAID controller and a serial ATA controller allowing only one function to operate at a time while the Gigabyte they are independent, therefore they can operate simultaneously, but I guess I can work with those drawbacks if I need to.

From the ram I mentioned above which do you all like and had good results from and which do you recommend I get and why? :burn:

Acid X

I just put together a computer for a friend using an Thermalright SK-7 on to a GA-7N400. Albeit one of the mounting brackets needed to be slightly bent to clear a capacitor, and the corner touched the upper right capacitor slightly (with 2mm available clearance) when I mounted the block.

I am not sure of the size differences, or if there are much difference between the two. I am assuming that they are very similar. But looking at the dimensions from newegg.com, it may not fit. I was looking at the dimensions at newegg, and the SLK900A is bigger:

SLK-900A
Dimension: L99 x W59 x H44 (mm) - Top, without fan. L67 x W81

SK-7:
Dimension: 85 (L) x 65.5 (W) x 42 (H) mm

I am not sure if they are referring to the top or the base. I would assume to the largest dimensions, so it seems the SLK900A would most likely fit. If you want, I'm sure some massaging with a dremel would help it clear a capacitor without affecting cooling noticeably.

If you haven't purchased the HS/Fan yet, the SK7 with an 80mm fan works quite well, especially considering it's only $21 at newegg.com.

I emailed Thermalright themselves and this is the reply that I got 'For this motherboard we recommend SLK-900A for optimal compatibility and performance. Thank you for interesting in Thermalright products.
Sincerely,

Jim Wei
Thermalright, Inc.'

Thanks for the input though. Hopefully this thread will help others faced with the same question on the same setup.

...::: /\$!d >< :::...

Back