• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-2 version 1.2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lance Thornton

Hi all. I have an Nf7-s board revision 1.2 and I have an odd problem that I was hoping for some help with. Ever since I installed it I have been unable to restart it. It just hangs at the windows shutting down screen. I currently have an Athlon XP 1700+ at stock speed (Thoroughbred core) and I have only one 512 mB PC 2700 dimm of Crucial in slot 1. It will cold boot fine and shut down fine, but no restart. I am running Win2000 with all the latest service packs and hotfixes. I also have a PNY gforce 4 ti4200, but I don't think that matters. Thanks for all the help in advance.

Oh confused Lance :(

Well Win2k seems to be more picky than XP for me but lets not say "reinstall" for now since that is a real pain. Are you running the latest bios or checked to see if flashing the bios might help ya?

Did you do a fresh install of windows with the new motherboard? Personally I would never just slap a new mobo into an existing machine and use it like that. Sure it may sorta work but I could pretty much guarantee odd problems will pop up as a result.

Deathknight said:
Did you do a fresh install of windows with the new motherboard? Personally I would never just slap a new mobo into an existing machine and use it like that.

A little while back I got a PCI RAID card so I could switch mobos and minimize problems of this type. My systems (both Win2k and WinXP) are fairly old versions so when I reinstall, updating them with the latest via patches is half a day's work. It has worked well so far (changed from KT333 boards to nForce2 boards and across various manufacturers of nForce2) and I expect it to continue till they start changing the PCI bus. You do have to restall drivers sometimes as you change boards but that is minimal time, guess we all have our crosses to bare. :D

Well you may have had some luck with your switch over but I can tell you I have seen hundreds of threads regarding issues after switching motherboards without a fresh reinstall of windows. Every weird problem that pops up after the switch I would wonder 'gee is this because I didn't reinstall?'. No thanks I would rather elinimate that as a possibility right off the bat.

Personally I cannot fathom people's aversion to reinstalling windows. Its about the most healthy thing you can do for your system. Its like an enima for your machine. Its good to clean it out every once in a while :D

Sorry for the confusion. The install of Windows was fresh. I very rarely drop in motherboards without uninstalling the associated drivers. I also had a copy of XP and for giggles, I formatted and installed it on a 6 gB drive. The system still did the same thing on restart.

i'd go completely through bios and eliminate things one at a time. you can always rma it... :eek:

Deathknight said:
Well you may have had some luck with your switch over but I can tell you I have seen hundreds of threads regarding issues after switching motherboards without a fresh reinstall of windows. Every weird problem that pops up after the switch I would wonder 'gee is this because I didn't reinstall?'. No thanks I would rather elinimate that as a possibility right off the bat.

Personally I cannot fathom people's aversion to reinstalling windows. Its about the most healthy thing you can do for your system. Its like an enima for your machine. Its good to clean it out every once in a while :D

Are you saying that you've tried using a PCI disk controller card and have seen system problems? Or are you working in a default mode without that experience? I can see a great potential for problems if the controllers are on the motherboard and don't debate that point but I need some technical reason why the PCI card shouldn't work other than your belief. I don't mean offense with that question, I trying to understand and learn. :D

Thanks. :cool:

Back