• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair pc3200 XMS price.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Why dont you get the Mushkin 1gig 3200 level 1 part number 991089.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...alog=147&manufactory=1504&description=&page=2

Mushkin 1GB PC 3200 Level One (2x512MB) Dual Black PCB 232, Part# 991089 - Retail
DDR 400, non-ECC, non- buffered, 184pin, 32x8 Drams, 16 chips, Matched Pairs CAS 2-3-2 Model#: 991089 Special Free FedEx Saver Shipping
- Product Link (limit 20 per customer) -See It! (image count 1 ) -Price Alert (N82E16820146290) Return to Service

Read the Wish Lists About the Item(2)
$227.00

Its 60 bucks less and its a faster speed.

Is it better for overclocking a 2500+ barton? I was recomended getting Corsair XMS or Kingston HyperX

Actually, as both the Corsair and the Mushkin Level 1s are CH5s they aren't worth nearly that much money. The 83.00 Buffalo 3200 CH5s are just as good, and the $99 3700 BH5s are better.

CH5 based modules aren't bad, but they aren't a worth a king's ransom either. If you don't feel the Buffalo stuff costs enough get the HyperX 3000 or 3200 (the one without the "A" on the end of the part number). They are BH5s as well and better than the pricier CH5 alternatives.

I have tried the Buffalo but their's didnt overclock so well. It might be their pcb. Mushkin and Corsair have a long reputation for quality.

Hey, its up the you. But to save money and for a quality product, Mushkin is the way to go.

Of course you would be for Mushkin ;)
But chips are chips, CH-5's are CH-5's. Of course it may be more "risky" to go with Buffalo, but performance from BH-5's compared to CH-5's has shown time and time again.

Yep, even if you buy into the PCB stuff, Buffalo 3700 BH5s will at least equal the most expensive CH5 modules on earth. To be honest I haven't found the PCB to be much of a factor at all compared to the chips a particular module carries. Granted the PCB must be competent, but it's not a particularly hard thing to accomplish. When you are marking your memory up 50-100% you have to find some superiority to claim in the hopes of justiying your price, and that is the root of all the PCB concern.

I have run 2x512MB Buffalo PC3700s on a P4P800 Asus at 450MHz, 2-2-2-5, Turbo mode on (PAT). This is at 2.85 volt. As Intel dual channel rigs are the toughest on memory of all, this is a very impressive level of performance and beyond the capability of CH5s, even if god himself were to manufacture the PCBs.

A lot of factors play into OC.

PCB, fan, CPU and the right board... PCB does play a role cuz when u overclock and juice it up, if the PCB can handle the voltage increase, you will get tons of errors in Memtest.

I have about 13 different memory on my desk right now that I have burnt cuz of overclocking and too much voltage.

You didn't read my statements very carefully. I did not say the PCB plays no role. I said it is minimal compared to the chips they carry, and that it isn't that hard to make a competent PCB for this application.

If your concern is voltage, many, many people are running 3.1V though the Buffalo. If it plays out as you say that would indicate there is nothing wrong with the Buffalo PCB. I run 2.97V full time though my 3700s, and the 3200s took it just as easily. Not even warm, memtest clean.

And like I said on the Asus, 450MHz with the tightest timings dual channel PAT enabled on 2.85V. It is good ram, and better than anything else $99 will buy you. And better than any CH5 module regardless of price.

And believe it or not, I am well aware that a lot of factors play a role in the OC. Explain that to the people that claim Buffalos can't produce good results, because their problem isn't the ram.

I read your post and that is my point also. There is a lot of factors and memory isnt always the problem. But if a memory is built poorly then it can be the difference of running 2.7v and 3.1v. It just so happen that the 1 pc of Buffalo that I have tested didnt pass. It is not to say their other parts are not great parts. I might have gotten a bad piece.

I am just amazed that how many "memory manufacturers" have popped up and tried to enter the gamers and overclockers market. Some of which dont know what they are doing. They just buy memory from someone else and put a heatsink on it. I wished I had patent the heatsink before it got out to the rest of this market.

Sorry for babbling on... but dont get me started.

Well, Good luck larva in your quest and decission.

If WinBond and CAS 2.0 isn't your thing, then go for KingMax memory! ~~ Dunno why, just putting this out.

KingMax makes great competant totally in-house memory, although most won't run low latencies (CL 2 or tRCD/tRP 2/2), 2.5-3-3-7 is decent score. Their product is cheap, and built with high quality. They have some nice "semi-original" (first on the market) with system modules using TinyBGA. $80-90 for their KingMax PC3200/PC3500 normal TSOPII stuff.

Before you mob behind corsair, read up on all the poor performance people have been having with it lately. Even their recent XMS modules have been shown to overclock badly - and I don't think it's the PCB :)

The problem with high end mem is that there aren't any reasonably priced high speed chips out there. Most stuff over PC3200 is 'stretched', i.e. really bad timings and a reccommended 2.8v or something like that. Basically, it's factory overclocked.

--Illah

the best overclockable chips right now still is the BH-5. But production is getting very limited and very hard to get. Prob by end of the year the chip will not be around anymore so if you have the $$$ get he parts built with BH-5 chips.

Back