• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG, OMG, ..listen to my OC story

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Motley

OK, here's the deal, I just got some brand new mem last week (Kingston HX3500), and I couldn't get it to run past 380fsb. So.. thanks to some helpful suggestions on this form, I ran memtest, and came up with lots of errors. So... Kingston graciously, and promptly replaced my mem. OK, so I get home last night, install the new (new) mem, along with my brand new TT Silent Boost heatsink. All is well...?

Hmmm, well, I started out with low fsb, and relaxed timings, ran memtest... all is good. OK, now on to the OC action. I start cranking up the fsb, I get to 330.. run memtest.., bam, machine beeps, then shuts down! I thought, WTF? could I have another bad set of mem? OK, so i found an updated bios for my mb. Run memtest, bam, system beeps and shuts down!

OK, so now I'm all in an uproar, "how could this be?"... So... I notice my temps are 65C and climbing!

hehehe, lol, well, duhu..,, I didn't put the heatsink on correctly, the entire problem was my system was shutting down because the chip was getting too hot!!!

Nice huh?, well, I properly seated the heatsink, now my system is running like a champ!! Yaaaaaaaa!

Sounds like it's a good thing your mobo had overheating protection. Otherwise you could be posting an obituary for your 3000+ :)

<threadjack>
How do you like the Thermaltake HSF? Quiet? What are your temps?
</threadjack>

Yes, I'm definately thankful for the auto-shutdown feature...

The new heatsink is great, really, really quite, running @2500rpm and CPU temps @ 49C/55C (idle/stress).

How many forums are you going to post this on? I'm glad you had a good save there but we only need to hear it once. I would get a mod to delete some if I were you.

Back