• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCed TBird 1.13ghz to 1.3ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ahains

Just a short testamonial on the eliteness of the SK-7.
Was running my tbird at stock 1.13ghz and it even then it was getting unstable in the heat of the summer. Had to underclock it to 100*10 which really felt lame.
I was running mid 60's which is obviously messed up.

I just got an SK-7 (egghead) and two smart fans and some AS3 (directron, better price after shipping).
Hooked them up and immediately dropped to 40*C at idle and light load. Outrageous difference, but I'm sure a decent amount was that I was a complete noob when I build this system and smeared silicone *all over* the top of the cpu.. not just the die.

So I tried various settings last night and found my best config was:
-145fsb (I have PC133 ram in there)
-multiplier of 9
-34 pci bus, so nice and stable
-1.92v cpu (set to 1.85 in bios)
-3.83v i/o (set to 3.7 in bios)

With these settings I top out around 58* running the prime 95 torture test for maximum heat. Ran stable through the night.
If I turn the fans up all the way it is closer to 50*, but I have them almost at their lowest setting now so it is nice and quiet. Temp is ok to me.
I know the CPU voltage is on the high side, but I really don't care since I was ready to upgrade to a Barton + ABit anyway. If this setup runs a few months I'll be more than happy :)
I could run just under stock voltage for 8.5 * 145, but I'd rather have that extra 72.5mhz at high voltage ;)

Now the chopiness I was seeing in snapstream is gone, so I can put off upgrading awhile longer.

So in summary:
-SK-7 rocks
-smart fan II's rock
-being a noob and coating a CPU with cheap silicon thermal paste sucks
:)

-Adrian

What's egghead?

Thermalright SK-7 heatsinks are kind of hard to come buy these days, who sells them for a good price now?

c627627 said:
What's egghead?

Thermalright SK-7 heatsinks are kind of hard to come buy these days, who sells them for a good price now?

Sorry.. I was smokin crack, egghead = newegg.com
It looks like they are out of stock now, they list an ETA of 10/22/2003

Back