• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sweet, just got 400mhz fsb with K7N2-L

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoskO (_!_)

Tried the wire trick with some tiny speaker wire, worked like a champ. Runnin 11x200 right now with mushkin pc2700 memory at cas2...gotta love it.

I was gonna upgrade to a barton, but I highly doubt it would be worth the extra money since I think I can push this even further with the multiplier.

Who else here is runnin the "old" K7N2 L at 200mhz fsb? I'm just curious what sorta speeds I might be able to shoot for.

Also, there is a pretty good heatsink on the northbridge, but no fan stock. at 200mhz fsb, think I should add a fan to it?

Thanks for the help all.

I picked up one of these "old" k7n2-l mobos for $99 CDN, about $70 US. Not bad for an nforce2 based mobo. Right away I hit 200 X 11 with my 1800+ jiuhb dlt3c. Currently at 11.5 X 200 with 1.6volts. I don't want to try any higher volts untill I get some better cooling. Temps around 48 load right now. Too bad that there aren't any options for 200+ fsb. Oh well, it's a great board none the less. WRT the northbridge. Granted it doesn't have a fan on it, but it stays quite cool so I don't think adding a fan would help much. This things already stable at it's max FSB anyways.

well i noticed it was fine for the 1st week then it started lagging on bootup and on other things in the windows inviornment, im talking 30+ times the XP bar would go accross the screen before it finally booted. It ran for about a month ok then i turned my overclock back to stock and it never came back. I like my 2100+ so much better anyway, it runs smoother than the barton ever did. oh and it only takes me 2 bars and im in windows with this one. All in all it takes me 14 sec and im fully booted from the time i hit the power button

I have the same board K7N2-L. I recently wiretricked my 2400+, and right now i'm using it at 166x12.5 wich is almost stock speed. the thing is, the highest multi i got available is 13, but when i try it it boots as 166x6. any idea why i can't use 13? i don't wanna push the FSB cause i have PC2700 ram no name, don't think it will oc well. I was thinking about setting the FSB at 200 and playing with the multi, but i would have to set the FSB/RAM ratio lower than 1:1 wich i was told would really suck.

any ideas on how to push this further?

tazin

That's a tough one. I have pc2700 but it's mushkin.....wierd thing is at 200fsb I'm runnin 5-2-2-2 and it runs great, so you may be able to push yours to 200fsb at less aggressive timings....like maybe 7-3-3-3.

Now i have it at 200x11, 10% overclock over stock speed, without touching voltages. CPU temp is about 52C. I set FSB:RAM ratio at 6:5 so as to not oc the ram. Is that really so bad? i was told to never leave the 1:1 ratio. benchmarks show a slight improvement on ram compared with 166x12.5.

when i tried 200x11.5, i got a reboot while loading windows. Is this temp or voltage?

emilio

I set FSB:RAM ratio at 6:5 so as to not oc the ram. Is that really so bad? i was told to never leave the 1:1 ratio.

With generic PC2700 RAM, you've probably got the right idea. While you'll be able to o/c the CPU, however, you will lose quite a bit of your system's potential performance. If it's at all within your means, budget for some decent PC3200 RAM.

when i tried 200x11.5, i got a reboot while loading windows. Is this temp or voltage?

Both. You will need a higher voltage to run stable at a higher clock speed, but a higher voltage will drive your (already a bit high) temps up.

Watch your CPU temps if you plan on ramping up the voltage. If you are running 52c at your current settings, you may need to consider a more robust cooling solution. After you have addressed the cooling issue, you can bring the voltage up in .25V increments until your system runs stable.

Back