• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2500+ and newegg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cardboardbox

Registered
There was the thread here about the retails ,but anyone grab up the oems lately and what stepping have you gotten?

Im going to make the purchase sometime this week , gotta get ram too and on a budget so thats why i have to get oem. Or if anyone knows anywhere to grab a good one at a great price post it

excaliber has the 0332TPMW stepping for 92 bucks. havent heard much about that stepping but every TPMW i have ever owned oced above avg. also gameve (i hate this place they sent me the wrong stepping those *******s :mad: ) has the 0330VPMW "Z" stepping for 82 bucks. i personaly will never go back to that place but hey maybe youl have better luck? well man good luck...

peace perc,

i would relaly go for the retail.. seems to be more popular of than OEMs so i would believe that their steppings are better.. but if you're so pressed for that 5 bucks then you can go with one of the 2 suggestions in the above post

It makes absolutely no difference whether your CPU is OEM or Retail, or what week it was packaged. Just buy the newest one you can and hope it overclocks well.

percadann: the 2500+ oem at newegg is 84$ the retail is 90$

excalibur has the one for 92$ thats 2$ more then retail at newegg

Akira283-IGN: ive seen you give the same damn advice in about 2 other threads and you are right oem and retail are no difference other then the heatsink and sticker you get , but in certian circumstances there is , one being one could sell more and have a newer week stepping cpu , You contridict yourself by saying buy the newest one, but by buying the newest one you must know the week in the stepping code which just rolls back around to what i said before. Get a clue please

Cherryp00t: 6$ 6$ ya im pretty pressed for 6$ but im thinking about it.

I always go for the OEM, but only if they're cheaper. I had started a thread on OEM, and Retail 2500's that became rather large. It was a mixed bag, retail or oem not making much of a difference when they had the same steppings.

cardboardbox

percadann: the 2500+ oem at newegg is 84$ the retail is 90$

excalibur has the one for 92$ thats 2$ more then retail at newegg

ok well that may be so but id rather spend the extra 2 bucks and know what stepping i will be recieving. new eggs doesnt promise you anything you could get the 0302 or the 0332 its all in what they decide to send you. i like the places that you can request a certin stepping thats all....

peace perc,

cardboardbox said:
You contridict yourself by saying buy the newest one, but by buying the newest one you must know the week in the stepping code which just rolls back around to what i said before. Get a clue please

Think before speaking. Weeks themselves do not indicate overclocking potential. I see so many false arguments like "week 31 is better then week 35, but worse than week 24." All you need to do to get the most overclocking potential is to simply buy a new CPU. If you can find a place to get a guaranteed week, great, that way you can choose the newest CPU possible. Just don't be fooled by myths that older weeks are better.

Akira283-IGN said:

Think before speaking. Weeks themselves do not indicate overclocking potential. I see so many false arguments like "week 31 is better then week 35, but worse than week 24." All you need to do to get the most overclocking potential is to simply buy a new CPU. If you can find a place to get a guaranteed week, great, that way you can choose the newest CPU possible. Just don't be fooled by myths that older weeks are better.

all i have to say is what? you make no sense man

You keep jumping to conclusions and contridicting yourself so many times, NEWER CPUS have NEWER STEPPINGS and NEWER CPU DATE which would make them better by your theory BUT You said , stepping doesnt matter , just get the newest one. BUT to get a newer cpu you must look at the stepping. So therefore the stepping does make the difference after all.

I never stated i wanted an older week over a newer week i was just looking for information on what week newegg is carrying as oems recently. To say steppings mean nothing is very dense , taking a look back on every good overclocking chip that was produced , steppings seem to have some sort of value , do a search on google on celeron 300a overclocking and steppings.

Yes every cpu is different but taking alook at mutiple cpus with the same stepping and taking the average overclock of that stepping can give you a better idea what you can get out of that chip , and is better information then just saying "buy the newest"
now isnt it?

Last edited:
wateva the bottom is get the newest one possible.. neweggg sells alot of retail 2500+ because its on their top 10 seller list.. that tells me that they have a NEWER STEPPINGS of the 2500+ retail than they do of the 2500+ OEM..

think of the extra 6 bucks for a paperweight and the 3 year warrenty doesnt hurt either.. someday you might find a use for it.. cut it up for ram/mosfet sinks.. or pass it down to another rig.. never hurts to have a stock heatsink lying around ;d i have a couple lying around its useful just to give to ppl that need em =p

when i got my retail barton from newegg a few months ago, the stepping hadn't been heard of when i first got it. Newegg seems to move through enough of them to always have newer ones in stock. Whenever i see a "I just got a 1700/2500 from newegg" thread its almost always one of the newest steppings.

ordered my 2500+ retail should come monday :( but i hope friday

said free shipping but the shipping charge showed up on the invoice

if it said free shipping and your shipping wasnt free then you chose the wrong shipping method.....fedex express saver is the free shipping method, so either the system has a glitch or you chose the wrong method.

Also i agree with cherrpoot.....take a look at the number of reviews alone for the retail over the oem.....the retail probably outsells the oem like 2-1 so im thinking your best bet for a new stepping would be the retails.

i chose fedex express saver , 4$ not much but still it said free glitch i assume , already ordered the retail :D

Back