• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Annoying noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShakyJake

I just did an upgrade today, equipment listed in my signature. Got the CPU running at 2.3Ghz, I loaded Win2k fresh, applied all the updates and drivers, ran 3DMark 2001 and 2003 with no problems. Ran around in SWG for about an hour -- computer seems very stable.

HOWEVER, there is an annoying whining noise coming from the speakers. It increases during hard drive access and video drawing. Like during 3dMark, the noise responds to what's being drawn on the screen.

Anyone have a clue what's causing this?

I get the same thing from my 7N400Pro2 (unrelated to the memory hissing problem). It really messes up my Counterstrike game with headphones, and my only solution is to use a USB sound device. If someone knows what causes this, please help.

I figured it out: The damn "TV-Tuner" volume control was set to on and apparently was picking up noise from that.

Restorer, this may be the source of your noise too. Double click on your volume control icon, click on options, then properties. Under "Show the Following Volume Controls", turn on everything, click OK, then MUTE everything that's not being used. It's quite possible one of them is the culprit, if it isn't TV-Tuner for you too.

Good luck.

Hey, it worked. :D

The main buzz was caused by the TV Tuner; I also had quieter buzzes of different pitches from Line In and CD Audio.

I'm having the same problem again in Linux (Redhat 9), but the volume control doesn't include TV Tuner. Is there a Realtek linux driver, or another solution?

Back