• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ PC4000 and using 4 mem sticks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC Noob

Is the difference between OCZ PC4000 and PC4000 Gold just that the sticks are hand picked for the lower cas (2.5)?

I have 2 x 256 of the standard stuff and will probably sell it since I'm using a 1.8 ghz P4, that brings me to my second question.

Does the 875 chipset benifit from 4 sticks of ram vs 2? I have some Corsair PC3500 (2 x 256) and could use that with the OCZ stuff (I think) if it would help.

I've heard the term quad pumped, does that mean the 875 boards have quad channel ram capabilities?

Thanks for the help.

lol, something went horribly wrong!

It won't let me delete them, but I PM'ed the two mods that are logged on:)

q1- yes it probably is just tested to run cas 2.5 instead of three, any ram over 3200 is tested to meet a speed or demand, as jedec has not approved of its existance.

q2- while i have heard that with 4 sticks, you get a very small performance benefit by enabling 4 bank interleave or some such feature, its not anything like doubling dual channel. quad pumping is the p4 fsb

200fsb x 4 =800fsb = p4c
3200ram ddr= 200 fsb x 2
dual channel 3200ddr = 200 x 2 x 2 = 800mhz ram

Originally posted by Supertrucker

dual channel 3200ddr = 200 x 2 x 2 = 800mhz ram

Not so, the ram is running at 200MHz. The fact that it transfers twice per clock cycle gives it nearly the bandwidth of SDR running at 400MHz, but not entirely. So it is somewhat innacurrate to say it is running at 400MHz, although this is the common representation. It is completely false to double it again and refer to 800MHz. There is no further doubling of the clock frequency, and in fact dual channel Intel chipsets only exhibit about 60% greater bandwidth than their single channel predecessors. And even if they did realize the full 100% greater potential of a dual channel architecture, the ram is still only running at 200MHz (for an DDR effective data rate of 400Mhz), but of course it is important to recognize the dual channel nature in addition.

According to Anandtech running four sticks doesn't hurt the overclock, but if you believe that I have a bridge I will make you a deal on.

by that standard p4s do not have an 800mhz fsb and they are false advertising. i understand its not a real 800mhz on the ram, nor on the cpu. all i was saying was that dual channel 3200 is the best match for a p4c, overclocking aside

It is entirely correct that P4s do not have an 800MHz fsb, it in fact runs at 200MHz and is quad pumped. But at least its throughput is very nearly equal to a single pumped bus running 800MHz. Dual channel DDR chipsets as implemented by Intel do not approach the throughput of SDR running at 800MHz, and this is what you implied. In fact their throughput is closer to SDR running at 640MHz. I understand what you were trying to say, but the terms you chose were incorrect and misleading nonetheless.

Running 4 sticks of ram will give you about 120MB/s more throughput according to some testing I've done. However running 4 sticks will lower the max OC you can get by quite a lot

Steve

Back