• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

highest recommended voltage for barton 2500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cujo

what's the highest you guys would recommend going provided temps are mid to high 40s load?

i see ppl with watercooling running 2volts. any reason why i can't if temps stay down?

i run a swiftech mcx462+ and a vantec tornado in a cold basement.. max load is 37C.. with a barton 2500+ @ 2365mhz @ 1.875v

i used to run it @ 1.925v to get 2400mhz stable @ 38C.. i would say not over 1.95v

and i would say not to go over 2v for watercooling

after you get above 1.9v you start reaching the point of diminishing returns... as long as you can keep it cool :cool:

I'd probably go 1.80 or 1.85 depending on what speeds I could get at those voltages. Dunno, maybe I say that cause my board won't do more than 1.85V without mods.

hitechjb1 said:
Assuming the calculated number stands statistically, a 30% increase of Vcore reduces the 50% sample failure time to 59% (a little over half-life). The 30% voltage number of 1.95 V, 2.08 V, 2.15 V seems to fit nicely w/ the AMD absolute rating 2.05, 2.15 and 2.20 V on Vcore for the DLT3C, DUT3C and DKT3C respectively in the data sheet.

At least, based on analysis, if it stands, we can rule out the guessing numbers of 1.8 - 2.0 - 2.2 V for max Vcore flowing around and also the concern of failure within weeks or months.

Further, in conjuction with the MHz-economic gain from 10%, 20%, 30% over voltage (I have those numbers in another thread), one can pick and chose the tradeoff between MHz gain and the reduction of statistical expectancy of CPU failure time, which is still in terms of at least 5+ years away.

PS:
As far as temperature to not having additional adverse effect on chip behavior from electromigration on top of voltage, it should be below the max temperature rating of 85/90 C (for TBred B/Barton). So using a cap of 65 C is reasonable, since above which most CPU would be overclocked above the break-even point of 10 MHz/C for Tbred B and Barton. Further increase in voltage and temperature, even if it is stable, one would get very little return in MHz, but greatly shortening the expected failure time.

- Vcore is increased by 10%, on the average, the current density in the wires inside a chip would be increased by 10% (assume uniformly distributed current density), keeping temperature the same, so the failure time would be shorten by 17%. So

A 10% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 83% of nominal failure time.
A 20% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 69% of nominal failure time.
A 30% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 59% of nominal failure time.
A 50% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 44% of nominal failure time.

These links explain some detailed analysis:

Effect of high Vcore and electromigration on CPU failure time (page 15)

In summary, from the above argument, it puts a maximum number of 2.15 V for Barton with a potential 41% reduction in CPU life expectancy (due to electromigration), at 2 V would be 31% reduction statistically. It also assumes temperature is kept under 65 C, and HSF, motherboard FSB, memory, PSU are not limiting the stablity of the system.

Having said that, if you are not comfortable of using that high a voltage, since the CPU is working above the break-even point (10MHz/C) of frequency and temperature (on air), one would not lose too much MHz even the Vcore is lowered by 250 mV to 1.9 V, estimated by at most 150 MHz. For practical reason, apart from short term benchmarking and fun, trading 150 MHz for 250 mV lower in Vcore is well justified.

Last edited:
Back