• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thorton modding article

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No codes?

"You can distinguish them by a little bit longer core compared to ordinary AMD Athlon XP with 256KB chips."

and

"Lock up the L2 bridges... to get a fully functional Athlon XP "Barton" processor with 512KB of L2."

Last edited:
It works!!!
I just changed my sig... because i got myself today a brend new 2000+ Thorton and moded it to 3200+ Barton!!!
Connected that cut L2 bridge and boot....

That's it.
Time to do some benchmarking and burning in... :)

Please post the entire CPU code of your Thorton chip!

Yeah, codes would be useful. Alot of people have been getting newer stepping A cores but could we be mistaken in that they are really Thortons?

Thorton_in_Croatia.jpg

Let picture speak for it self!

This one is from Zagreb, Croatia, from local hardware store. It was THE only ONE, and even a salesman didn't know what he is letting go!! :))

OK OK so Thortons are 2000+, 2200+, 2400+ chips with Barton codes.

Question now is how are Barton codes different from Thoroughbred codes?

How much $ or Euros over there for this CPU?

Last edited:
The steppings are the clue. If they are the same as standard Bartons it's a bit of a giveaway :)

Also this AXDC - thing is probably type-specific.

I think this is how to tell them apart:
Could someone please confirm that all Bartons have the second letter 'Q' in their code?

So 2000+, 2200+ 2400+ with second letter Q in the code would be Thortons.

a quick way to visually tell them apart -
If you look at the five things (i don't know what they are) on each side of the die, on the tbred cores, it doesnt go up to the fist and last one. On barton cores, it extends slightly into each one.

c627627 said:
OK OK so Thortons are 2000+, 2200+, 2400+ chips with Barton codes.

Question now is how are Barton codes different from Thoroughbred codes?

How much $ or Euros over there for this CPU?

Price was 63 Euros....

I can't believe there is not more interest in this! I thought that this would be blowing up the boards by now.

Anyone find a seller yet?

none here...locally, at least...i'll check back in a week or so, tho....my favorite local store is completely out of bartons and tbreds....they had one 1600...that was it.

Back