• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which rail supplies vcore on 8rda+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drshivas

Sith Lord
Which rail from the PSU supplies the vcore on 8rda+? I searched around and couldn't find definitive answer. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places...

TIA

I too think it's the 5v. My 5 volt line drops to 4.6xv when I use anything over 1.9v. The computer is unstable then.

5v and 12v supply vcore now. I think it used to be just the 5v rail that supplied vcore and the 12v was devoted to motorized components such as HDDs, fans, etc.

~THT

Thanks for the input. Your statements match my observations. My 5v rails is around 4.85-4.892 @ 1.8vcore. The 12V rail is 12.2 and stays strong. I guess it is the 5V rail then.

Google fetched me this page which also corroborates the 5v rail...

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/archive/topic/34747-1.html

What I am getting at is I think my Enermax 350w PSU is sucking. I can't get over the speed (see sig) at any combination of multi/FSB/vcore. I think it is because of the low performance of the 5v rail. Oh well.

EDIT: When I say I can't get over the speed in my sig, I mean p95-stable kind of speed.

Any recs on a good replacement PSU?

Well I'd consider one of those Fortrons are Sparkles. I have an Antec 350 that just doesn't seem to be cutting it. Like you my 5v line just doesn't hold up past 1.85v. Anytime I push higher, it'll run, but when I load Prime95 the 5v drops to 4.6 or so and the actual vcore itself moves to .25 below what it should be. That's not good for stability.

I came looking for your thread for the same reason. My primary reason was that the 5 volt rail also limits Radeon clocking capabilities, but also was interested in the chipset voltages. I have been trying to justify the Antec true control 500 watt power supply. It give you votage adjustments on the front panel for +5, +12 and +3.3 volts of 5%. The other choice is PC power and coolings 510 supply as they spec out regulation at 1%. That's a sweet supply but $$$$$$.

drshivas said:

Fortron 350W with 120mm fan. $36 at newegg. Fantastic deal. 220W on the 3.3V+5V compared to 185W for an emermax 350W. Not to mention that Fortron PSUs are underrated while alot of other brands exaggerate their ratings.

drshivas said:
Thanks for the input. Your statements match my observations. My 5v rails is around 4.85-4.892 @ 1.8vcore. The 12V rail is 12.2 and stays strong. I guess it is the 5V rail then.

Google fetched me this page which also corroborates the 5v rail...

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/archive/topic/34747-1.html

What I am getting at is I think my Enermax 350w PSU is sucking. I can't get over the speed (see sig) at any combination of multi/FSB/vcore. I think it is because of the low performance of the 5v rail. Oh well.

EDIT: When I say I can't get over the speed in my sig, I mean p95-stable kind of speed.

there are a few usual features as to why you can't overclock higher...
1) heat
2) i notice you have a 8rda+ v1.1 - this doesn't offer vdd increments, which will very easily prevent you from going over 200fsb... you're one of the lucky ones if you hit 215 without modding it...
3) northbridge cooling?

oh yeah, the 5v rail is also very important... with a POS psu, you won't be able to overclock high...
enermax and sparkle are the best

I did do the VDD mod once, but popped off the resistor because it just made things really hot (IMO) and didn't yield any noticible improvements. (it was a good solder job too!, but it was also June at the time).

I have an slk800a, an iceberq on the NB, and passive sinks on the mosfets.

Edit: Also have the old NB sink on the SB.

Things are cooling off in the eastern US so my load temp is around 42C. I tried another round of OC attempts with the cooler weather, and got no where, even with a near 10C drop in the cpu load temp. That is why I suspect it is the PSU. Even if i drop the FSB to 200, it p95 chokes at 10.5, 11, and 11.5 multi.

Thanks for the PSU recs. I'll check them out. And I agree, some PSU brands have been pumped up way to much.

Deathknight said:

Fortron 350W with 120mm fan. $36 at newegg. Fantastic deal. 220W on the 3.3V+5V compared to 185W for an emermax 350W. Not to mention that Fortron PSUs are underrated while alot of other brands exaggerate their ratings.

Well it appears that that isn't even enough. My Antec SL350 is supposed to rack up a nice 230wt with the 3.3 and 5.0 combined. I'm having problems to the point that I can audibly hear the fans spin up under the stress when I run Prime95.

Do your rails change though? Just because the fans spin up doesn't mean your PSU is not cutting the mustard. 1.85 vcore is not THAT much for a quality brand PSU. I believe that the antec PSUs are designed to work like this, increasing fan speed when the PSU is under load.

Deathknight said:
Do your rails change though? Just because the fans spin up doesn't mean your PSU is not cutting the mustard. 1.85 vcore is not THAT much for a quality brand PSU. I believe that the antec PSUs are designed to work like this, increasing fan speed when the PSU is under load.
Well they may indeed increase the 12v line to compensate for the load. But my problem is not at 1.85v but when I go further. The 5v line, even under load is at 4.7 or so with 1.85v on the Vcore. But put that up to 1.95v and the 5v drops to 4.6 or even below under load. And the Vcore itself fluctuates by as much as .25v. Granted, this is my observations through MBM, not through an actual voltage meter. But I think this is enough to question the power supplies worthiness.

brennan77 said:

Well they may indeed increase the 12v line to compensate for the load. But my problem is not at 1.85v but when I go further. The 5v line, even under load is at 4.7 or so with 1.85v on the Vcore. But put that up to 1.95v and the 5v drops to 4.6 or even below under load. And the Vcore itself fluctuates by as much as .25v. Granted, this is my observations through MBM, not through an actual voltage meter. But I think this is enough to question the power supplies worthiness.

check with a multimeter on the mofsets... mbm tells me that my 5v is at 4.65, when it really is at 4.93

filip04 said:

check with a multimeter on the mofsets... mbm tells me that my 5v is at 4.65, when it really is at 4.93

Could you direct me to a guide to how to do this? I have a voltage meter, but I don't know where to check it.

Yeah, a guide on how to do that would be helpful as I've always wondered. Growing up, my dad used his multimeter all the time. Too bad I didn't pick up on how to use one.

well, actually its really not all that hard...

ok, the mofsets are composed of 3 little things...
_____
|.... |¯ <-- 1
|.... |-- <-- 2
|.... | <-- 3
¯¯¯¯¯¯
where #1 and #3 are attached to the motherboard... check #2 against #1 or #3 (i don't know which)

if its around 3v , move onto another mofset, and if your voltages come out negative, switch your multimeter thingys... as they're backwards

just don't slip your fingers, cuz you'll connect them, then you might destroy your motherboard

Last edited:
Back