• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first time please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ayiz

Hi guys this is my first time here i have a Barton 3000+ with 333fsb and an MSI KT600 board i have been trying to overclock it with the multiplier but everytime i change it my mobo won't post and i have to reset the cmos if any one can offer any suggestion it would be greatly apprieciated i have good cooling an Aero 7+ and a Thermaltake XaserIII case thanks in advance, Ayiz

PC2100 RAM is 133 FSB (dual) overclocks to low 150s at the most on average. It's usually used with 266 FSB CPUs like Athlon XP Thoroughbred.

But you need PC2700 RAM which is dual 166 FSB to run with your 333 Athlon XP 3000+ Barton. PC2700 can be overclocked to high 180s on average.

It is possible to run PC2100 async but overclocking is going to be tricky.

I would say the best thing to do is to try to get better memory, PC2700 at least. PC3200 would be even better.

Athlon XP 2500+ overclocks similar to Athlon 3000+ and costs three times less so it would have been wiser to invest in better memory instead of the 3000+ CPU.

I hope someone here can tell you different but I doubt it.

Hang on though - is it stable when you post at default multi? If so then Ram is not the issue because you are upping the multi not the FSB.
One other thing to consider is that the cpu is already near the limit of current Bartons so there is not much headroom and to up the multi by just 1 increases the frequency by 166MHz which may be too much for your set up.

But PC2100 can hardly do 150s FSB let alone 166?

Assuming it is running in synch and assuming it is PC2100 then yes. We need more info from Ayiz on this one as to whether it is running OK at default.

Get some decent PC3200 RAM. That will give you more additional performance than an OC with your current RAM.

Back