• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Damn weird! screen jumps..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suma

Hey,
after a 24h burn in I overclocked to: 220x10.5=2300MHz~
timings are @ 2.5 3 3 7 (memtest stable for these timings @ 230).
I run prime and once in a while I get these 1 sec screen jump, same thing that happens when you change refresh rate or resolution. The wierd thing is, prime95 is still running and no errors are reported.

when I lower the fsb there is no problem at all..
chipset?

You got your AGP/PCI locked down? can you even do that on your board?
not much else i could think of that would cause something like this

locked. I felt the nb and my hand was burnt.
I've put a 80mm fan.. testing ;]
no jumps till now.
I think it's the nb getting hot.

as long as the nb s cool and stable it can maintain normal functioning but when it gets too hot and starting to become unstable it seekes places to release the load to.
the first to do is try to rout the load to the agp and only after the rerouting it findsout that the fsb is locked

I would say your'e right, but firs goes the sound storm, then the agp etc.
I remember when I used the ss on high fsbs it would crank.. :/
It seems to be working now.

Ive bever heard of the screen jumping, due to instability but its certainly possible. It may be that 220FSB is about the top the 8rda+ can handle with stock cooling infact that sounds about right for that board, what you could do is increase the northbridge cooling either by changing the fan or the entire heatsink and fan its self, or you could do what it sounds like you have done and put a 80mm fan near it. Increasing the airflow in the case may help, you could do this by adding a blowhole above the northbridge or if you have the space a few extra case fans should do the job.

What I would be tempted to do in this case is just lower the FSb a touch, try lowering it by 2MHz or so and see if that helps if not lower it a couple more and see what it takes to sort the problem if its not much of a loss in FSB then I doubt you would notice a difference between it and 220FSB.

nforcershq.com forums:

southbridge also needs decent cooling; the soundstorm will fail if the southbridge hits 60 celcius

also the agp will also have problems if ur northbridge hits 60 celcius also

newest nforce drivers would also help btw

check your gpu temperatures also

also an incompatibility of an older graphics card with the nforce agp 8x/4x auto signaling might also be at fault: lock the agp rate at 4x

also disable your apic/acpi

ok fafnir, my sb has a sink on it. the sink is around 30c maybe even less, it's cold.
my gpu is cold, and I know it's fine.
as I said, I arranged a 80mm fan to sit on the bare vantec iceberq, and no screen jumps at all.
I'll also check that apic/acpi.

Back