• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BAD/Broken AMD multipliers (high FSB)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
Tried searching and reading up on this, but with no luck.
So basicly what is wrong is my 9x multiplier is no good at any 1/2 decent FSB speed.

Here are my results
Barton 2500+ does 2.4GHz @ 200x12 1
Crosair PC4000 (DDR 500) , can post the RAM @ 265FSB,
ABit NF7-S 2.0 nForce 2, C1 steping

While testing pushing MAX without Volt hack though NB and DDR
NB=1.7V
DDR=2.9V

246 x 9.5 (2.33Ghz) 100% stable... tested all day yesterday
250 x 9.5 System Hlts when mouse shows up on screen (black) 2
250 x 9 No Post
245 x 9 No Post
245 x 8.5/8/7.5/7/5 100% stable, didnt try anything else
260 x 8.5 System Halts before OS load
255 x 8.5 System dir missing 3
250 x 8.5 System Hlts when mouse shows up on screen (black) 2

1 I wouldnt run this speed for long periods of time without water cooling. CPU loads in mid-high 50's.

2 I am 99% sure more Voltage to the North Bridge will let me run @ 250FSB. I get simular problems at a lower FSB with a lower Chipset Voltage

3 Got the same message @ same FSB with a 5x multiplier. I think NB needs more Vcore/cooling

Any comments on this?

My conclusions are that the 9x multiplier are messed up/broken in some way...
Or am i totaly off? Anyone else heard of this? Have a Fix or something i can try?

Many NF7 multipliers are supposedly broken, usually 9 to 10.5 are the most complained about.

However I really doubt you'll ever get 240+ FSB stable with only 1.7V Vdd and stock cooling.

no 246 is all good and stable.
Stablility testing went smooth along with gaming on 146FSB...

barton.jpg

now as for 249FSB.. i'll let you all know in a day or too.
But if it is stable, i wont be pushing any higher/volt moding untill i move to water cooling again... if i even do that

just got to try to get my Vcore down a notch or too. think its a little high.

oh, cooling is not stock...
Might use the stock heatsink as a northbridge cooler or GPU cooler... something like that.
CPU has a Vantec Aeroflow on it

I would get something better on that NB and go for more. I have the same board and can only get 218 out of it stock. As soon as I'm inclined I have the stuff and an SK-6+ for the VDD mod. I'd be thrilled to get even close to where you are. :)

Back