• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

installed 1900+ and now system freezes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scryber

Registered
I installed an AthlonXP 1900+ into my computer, replacing an Athlon 1GHz (266). The motherboard is a Iwill KK266plus. I am not overclocking it at all.

Removing the old CPU was easy, getting the new one in--or I should say, the heatsink--was a bear. I had a really tough time with the larger heatsink, which is a GC69 from svc.

Once it was in the new chip was detected by the BIOS and it booted up fine. My first test was a transition render in Premiere 6.0. When I tried to open up the files, the system locked.

Reboot. Next I tried the HardCore UT2K3 benchmark. It would start and then freeze up.

I was paranoid I hadn't seated the heatsink correctly so I pulled everything out and started from scratch. Once it was complete I booted to Windows (2000) and let it run idle overnight.

The next day I tried the Premiere test again. This time it started to render, but at 20 seconds the system crashed and restarted.

I tried the UT2K3 benchmark and this time was able to run the single inferno level, but when I tried to do the Low Quality run, I got a General Protection Fault error box, followed by a blue screen.

Most simple tasks like web browsing and email don't seem to cause any problems. However I was re-sorting a list in a Usenet app and the screen froze.

According to Motherboard Monitor the CPU temp is 43C, so I don't think it's heat.

Any ideas? Do I have a damaged CPU? Is it not cooled enough? Can Windows get corrupted just by swapping out CPUs (I've done many system upgrades and never had this happen before)? Could it be other drivers (video?) in the system that don't like the new processor? Please help....thanks!

Other system info: 512MB RAM, GeForce3, SB Live Value, and a ton of peripherals.

Back