• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu died??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stunna

Registered
man, i knew this was gonna happen. i decided to get better cooling on my xp 1600+ s oi installed a thermalright sk-7 with the sf2, i removed the arctic silver from the cpu w/ alcohol but that stuff spread all over the cpu and on to the bridges, i tried cleaning it off and it wasnt coming off, so i decided to just put the new heatsink on and i started up the comp and it wouldnt post!!
After 10 sec my comp shut down automatically and a red light came on and abov3e the light it read 'cpu overheat', did i fry my cpu or was it the leftover residue that casued this ? any suggestions? thanks

xp 1600+ non oc'd
shuttle an35n ultra mobo
crucial pc2100 256mb ram

That usually won't fry the cpu unless some of thermal goop got under the chip and into the socket or something. Did you reapply artic silver? You never mentioned that part. Did you dry off all the alcohol?

Matt

Clean everything off and let it dry. Apply thermal compound like this:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_instructions.htm

You know with that killer new cooling setup of yours, instead of 1600+, $49 gets you guaranteed Thoroughbred B, overclockable to 3000+ or 3200+ easy. You should seriously consider it.

Gameve.com and zipzoomfly.com have them guaranteed that cheap.

Back