• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

uh oh

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cuda

Big time.:eek:

I lapped the nb on the sig sys yesterday. When I booted it up last night, at stock (reset the cmos), it seemed to boot fine. Then I shut it down to crank it back up in the bios, but when it shut down it went into ram failure (the two tone "siren" and a C3 mobo code). I cleared the cmos again, and it booted up again. When I shut it down, it acted normally, so I went into bios.
I started with a mild o/c 175*11 and tried it. It went through post just fine then as windows was starting the whole machine powered down, just like pulling the power cord!
I reset the cmos, reseated the ram, reseated the video card, now it won't power up. When I press the power button, there is an instant of power then nothing, like a breaker is tripping.
I'm going to tear it apart again this morning and make sure nothing got pinched or shorted.
I was pretty carefull when I lapped the nb so as not to expose any metal and I cleaned everything with alcohol. So I can only guess that something is grounded or shorting.
One other thing, I did have to remove the hsf from the cpu so I could work on the nb. I cleaned the sink and cpu and re-applied AS3.

Any other theories for me to check while I have it apart?

I think I found the problem.

I tore down the whole system this morning. When I removed the cpu hsf, I noticed that only half of the cpu die had left an as3 imprint on the hs base. I must have had the edge of the sink up on the socket cam so it didn't seat fully. It's running now at a mild o/c 150*11 with no problems.
The temps must have shot up so fast that MBM couldn't report it before it shut down. Thank goodness for cpu self preservation!
That scared the crap outta me!

and tom burner the motherboard....
glad to hear that you got it straight, and without killing ur chip...

by the way, next time, check hardware monitoring in the bios - it has the temps there

Back