• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8k5a2+ --> NF7-S = lower o/c :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LBJGH

The other day I replaced my excellent Epox 8k5a2+ with an Abit NF7-S... I didn't change any other hardware.

I have been able to run my pc2700 corsair/ocz mix in dual channel mod with more conservative timings but my overall o/c is lower with the Abit motherboard.

On the 8k5a2+ I would set the Vcore and get the set value (and then some). On the NF7-S the Vcore is substantially lower than what is set in the bios! I figured with the extra 4-pin 12v adapter on the NF7-S, the Abit board would be better able to regulate the mobo voltage...

Well to make a long story short... my previous results with the Epox were 1700+ @ 2.5ghz (15x166) with the memory at 2,2,2. With the Abit mobo I'm maxing out at about 2.45ghz and more relaxed memory timings. Also the Abit board runs the CPU significantly hotter (8-10c)… I’ve seen the CPU hit 65c!!!!!

I've tried bios versions d1.0, 1.4, 1.7 and 1.8 on the NF7-S with little difference in max o/c and temperatures.

I’ve got better benchmark results (3dmark/aquamark) with the NF7-S but I've lost 50-100mhz in o/c'n... what gives?

Any advice would be appreciated.

p.s. I will try single channel memory tonight.

tx LBJGH

well, what's more important? more performance or more Mhz?

I'm not sure why your overclocking is lower in the NF7-S, maybe someone else can help you with that.

The temperature probe on the NF7-S does not seem to be very accurate according to other members, so don't worry about that.

Maybe your lower overclock is simply due to the thermal paste not being as well set in on your new setup?

Well temp readings on this board are garbage, plain and simple. I am not entirely convinced that the low reading on the vcore is accurate either. Its very possible that its just reporting the value wrong and that it is actually on the money.

As for your limits are you ocing both fsb and mult or have you eliminated one of them to try and isolate what is stopping you from reaching your old oc? I would suggest narrowing it down to just 1 thing to make life easier. Perhaps run at a lower fsb to make sure its not an fsb or memory thing stopping your oc on your cpu.

Deathknight, I attempted to run the Abit with the same voltages, memory timings, fsb and multiplier as the Epox and Prime95 crashed quickly. The only thing that is different was the dual channel for the memory where as the Epox was single channel... I'm gonna check that tonight.

shiyan, I re&re'd my HSF many times with the Epox so I don't think that is the issue. and... what's more important? more performance or more Mhz? Well if I get the same o/c as before I get even better performance... I hate to settle for close... that's only good for horseshoes and handgranades.

maybe it could be the memory? because I think if you use the same memory timings, dual channel memory won't overclock as much as single channel.

I well I finally got back to 2.5ghz... 13x192... I guess my ram or the mobo chipset can't cut 200mhz... so damn close though.

The extra bandwidth helped me break 19K in 3dmark2001. :D

Also with the undervolting issue, I was thinking about using the wire-in-socket method to change the default cpu voltage from 1.50v to 1.85v so that the mobo doesn't undervolt during startup.

Cool. That's good to hear. Glad you solved your problems.

I'd suspect that it is the RAM which does not like dual channel PC3200 settings, as they are rated PC2700.

the abit nf7-s does undevolt....I believe .5 undervolt.....so what you would have to do is set it .5 above where it is supposed to be........I dont think this has to do with how abit manages the voltage.....but more a misread of the users settings......or maybe mbm reads it wrong.....

has anyone figured out why mbm reads this mobos as .5 lower then you set it?

0.05v in my case... hardware doctor and MBM5 report the same voltages and temps...

I set 1.90v and get 1.84 to 1.86

Back