• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 2500+ NF7-S Memory question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

plong

Not sure if I should ask this here or in the memory section but I really wanted to hear from as many AMDers as possible...hope it is okay here.

I'm putting together a new system with a Barton 2500+ and a NF7-S rev. 2.0. I'm looking for reccomendations for good, cost effective memory for moderate overclocking. I'm a bit disappointed with my initial results using my old Corsair VS333. As you can see from my sig my old rig is a KD7-S on which I have no trouble running 2250mhz (166 x 13.5) at stock volts. Old rig runs cool and stable. The best I've been able to get with the NF7 is 2167mhz (166x13). I tried lowering the multi and raising the FSB but could not get above 178; figgured that the pc2700 mem was the problem. I thought I should at least be able to equal the oc on my KD7 at 166fsb but so far no luck.

I'd sure appreciate any memory recomendations as well as other advice on this rig! BTW I'm using a new Thermaltake Silent Boost HSF, nice and quiet, low temps!

The ideal memory is something with Winbond BH-5 chips, but only Mushking level 2 has those anymore. Nothing else consistantly overclocks well at tight timings. By tight I mean Cas 2-2-2. Some of the Buffalo has BH-5 but people seem to get varied results with it.
For cheap memory I'd probably go for some Twinmos with CH-5 chips. CH-5 almost always needs a Ras to Cas of 3, so you'd take a bit of a performance hit with Cas 2-2-3. There's a couple guys selling in the FS/T forum and AMDMB forums. It's also available at MemoryX.

the buffalo ram on newegg is a very good cheap and effective solution.. go with like 3500 or 3700 from newegg they all have winbond chips

I'm a huge fan of the Buffalo RAM. Ive built 4 systems with the PC3200 and 3 of them on NF7-S's, and 2 of thoes had the Barton 2500's in them running dual chanel. All hit 220FSB at 2-2-2-6 timings.

Back