• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Diamond4D

Registered
Ok, currently I have Corsair XMS 3200C2 256x2 and I planned on buying the same thing to put in the same computer so I will have 256x4. Is that going to make it not dual channel anymore and if its not would it be a worth while upgrade to the new Corsair TwinX?

If you have four DIMM slots and you can run dual channel with the 2x256, then I'm pretty sure you can do 4x256. Reason being is that the DIMM slots should be paired up. i.e. two slots run on one channel, and the other two slots run on the other channel.

So the answer to your question is Yes, but then again you may want to double-check. I'm almost positive, though.

Also, why are you upgrading to 1Gig just yet? I mean, I have Geil Golden Dragon Dual 2x256 @2-3-3-7, and that f*cker screams! I was going to buy 2x512, but the RAM prices have not dropped a single penny. 4-5 months ago the Kingston HyperX 512meg chips were 5 bucks less. Think about it. The prices are still crappy now. Unless you really need it, 512 running at dual channel as you have it should be plentiful.

I'm just waiting for Half-Life 2 to come out before I get 2x512 CAS2 chips.

If this is for the IC7 that's in your signature, yes it most definitely will run in two channel mode with either 2 or 4 sticks. Try to get them to match as close as possible for best results.

Back