• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie needs help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

memnoch349

I NEED TO CONTACT SILVERSINKSAM
Hey guys, need some help for overclocking my xp 2000. I did read the beginners guides but they are just a bit confusing in places. my mobo will overclock, I just dont know where to start. The voltage or fsb. be patient with me I will learn quickly:)

Post CPU code, cooling, RAM, power supply brand at the very least.

37(min) C to 46(max) C Winter ; 42(min) C to 50(max) C Summer
Epox 8RDA+
Thermalright SK-7 with variable speed 80x25mm YS-Tech FD1281259B-2F
BFG GeForce4 Ti4200 8X 128MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 350W Antec SmartPower SL350
Five 80x25mm Ultra Quiet 18CFM Case Fans (NMB C3110KL-04W-B19)

Cpu is t-bred, cooling...stock cpu cooloing but very good airflow thru case, ram 256 ddr 2700 pny, psu 300 watt came with case.

One quick question...in the bios what about changing the cpu ratio? I have many listings from 5 to 11.5

FSB is the best place to start, since you get the best performance out of an FSB boost. There are some dangers involved in running higher fsb on motherboards that don't have a lock or good pci dividers though so its best to post all your specs as c627627 asked for. Your memory also will play a large role in how much of an fsb oc you can get.

It's called taking off the cover and looking =)

There are codes on the top of your CPU, these are stepping and manufacture codes. These can tell us how far it will probably overclock. You will have to remove the heatsink to see them though. Your motherboard make and revision number is printed between the PCI slots somewhere. Your PSU is not likely to be a good one, if it has any voltage rail current ratings post them.

Stock cooling = paperweight if you want to overclock. Thermalright make nice heatsinks that do the job perfectly =)

Alright you made a funny:) Guess I should've taken the time to write down the cpu code when I was in assembly stage. I just figured with all the software out there something must be able to read the codes from within. Here are mobo specs from manufacturer though....
http://www.elements-pc.com/mb/v400da/v400da.html

I am not looking to extreme overclock. Just get it somewhere around 1.75 GHZ currently running at 1.667 GHZ. C'mon guys...gimme a break, its my first time:) You guys were here at one time remember:)

does this help you guys?

CPU(s)
Number of CPUs 1

Code Name Thoroughbred
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
Family / Model / Stepping 6 8 1
Extended Family / Model 7 8
Technology 0.13 µ
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE
CPU Clock Speed 1662.6 MHz
Clock multiplier x 12.5
Front Side Bus Frequency 133.0 MHz
Bus Speed 266.0 MHz
L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Cache 256 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 1662.6 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 64 bits

Mainboard and chipset
Motherboard manufacturer
Motherboard model KT400-8235,
BIOS vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
BIOS revision 6.00 PG
BIOS release date 03/28/2003
Chipset VIA KT400 (VT8377) rev. 0
Southbridge VIA VT8235 rev. 0
Sensor chip Winbond W83697HF

AGP Status enabled, rev. 3.5
AGP Data Transfert Rate 8x
AGP Side Band Addressing supported, enabled
AGP Aperture Size -1 MBytes

Memory
DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
DRAM Size 256 MBytes
DRAM Frequency 133.0 MHz
FSB:DRAM 1:1
DRAM Interleave none
CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 7 clocks
# of memory modules 1
Module 0 Samsung DDR-SDRAM PC2100 - 256 MBytes

yes.. and we didn't post our specs either and we wanted to overclock with retail heatsinks too, it's how it goes.

OK, here's a program that would tell you if it's a T-Bred A or a T-Bred B without taking the heatsink off:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=184363

You will not get very far with stock 2000+ cooling. Your CPU is 1.667 and you want only 1.75 but watch your temperatures!

Go with 166 FSB x 10 first than slowly up the FSB leaving the multiplier at 10.

Your ram can do 175 FSB and 175 x 10 is 1.75 GHz.

But really be careful with your temperatures as you may need to increase the Vcore voltage a little as you go from 166 FSB to 175 FSB (in small steps!).

Raising Vcore will raise your temperature and your retail heatsink may not be able to handle it.

But anyway, read the mobo manual.

Starting point is 166 FSB x 10.

Then slowly up the FSB...

Yes I know what you mean - 5MHz increase on my FSB for a stellar 60MHz overclock w00r

If you have a Tbred - b it is probably capable of at least 2.2GHz. This assumes that your motherboard and RAM and PSU do not limit the overclock first. For 1.75GHz I think that you will be fine just increasing the multiplier - if I read that speed correctly you have an XP2000, therefore you only get 5-12.5x multipliers.

Also your motherboard, while looking nice with that purpleness and hefty core regulators, has some limitations: you can't run anything other than 100, 133, 166 FSB without running your PCI bus out of specification - most peripherals tolerate about 37MHz or so but after that it starts getting dodgy.

You can st it up so that it is an XP 2600 with 333FSB :) - all you need to do is put the FSB to 166 in the BIOS and the multiplier to 12.5x. Works well with stock cooling but don't go much further, as it will heat up pretty sharpish.

You may need to adjust the core voltage from default. In the BIOS you have options for Vcore, if you are unable to run programs such as Prime95 then bump it up a notch and see if you can run the program's torture test without errors for about 30 minutes.

yeah, its t-bred b here is some info c627627 told me to run

Processor #1

Processor Information:
CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD
Processor: AMD AthlonXP(TM) (Thoroughbred 'B')
CPU Type: Original OEM processor
Name String: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
CPU Speed: 1662.5MHz (1993+ PR)

CPUID Information:
Standard: Family: 6 Model: 8 Stepping: 1
Extened: Family: 7 Model: 8 Stepping: 1
Process: 0.13µm
Revision: B0

Basic Cache Information:
L1 Instruction Cache size: 64KBytes
L1 Data Cache size: 64KBytes
L2 Cache size: 256KBytes

Instruction Set:
MMX: Supported
3DNow!: Supported
3DNow!+: Supported
MMX+: Supported
SSE: Supported
SSE2: Not Supported
Thermal Monitoring: Supported

Well, it's supposed to be our job to help newbies hehe

Ok so here's what to do (well, what I say you should do)

Running the PCI bus out of spec for me caused no end of troubles, so I would recommend running 166MHz at the moment. Start off with your multiplier at 10x and slowly crank it up. Test each run with at least 10 minutes of prime95 and if it passes, repeat the process. Don't let temperatures go over 60C and watch your voltages. Use something like Motherboard Monitor 5 to monitor these. Monitoring programs can give wacky results so unless the voltages seem about right don't put too much trust in them. You should be able to reach 2.083 GHZ which is XP2600 speed - unless it gets too hot.

If you succeed you will be running the processor faster than branded - the speed will be the same as an XP2600 processor's default speed.

finally my newbie brain understands!!!

Right now it sits at 133mhz running 12.5. So you say turn up to 166 mhz and lower to 10 right? which first or both at the same time then reboot?

Erm, both at first so your CPU is still at the same internal speed. Then increase the multiplier like I described :D

If it doesn't reboot then switch it off and on again after about 10 seconds. If you go too high and the board throws a wobbler you may have to reset the CMOS - look in your manual for a CMOS clear jumper or something and follow the instructions if it all goes pear shaped.

Back