• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobo I currently have.Is it a decent overclocker?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Never heard of that brand before. Some of the things you want in a good ocing board is solid voltage regulation, alot of voltage options (vcore, vmem, vdd if you are lucky) and good control over your pci and agp speeds (either through a pci and agp lock like the nforce2 boards or good dividers like 1/5 and 1/6). Unfortunatly you can't just find stuff like that out reading the spec sheets from the manufacturer ;)

I am not real keen on the chipset that board has and the fact that its a noname company also doesn't make me feel real confident that it will oc well. Have you tried ocing with it at all yet?

It has all the setting you mentioned in the bios. CPU ratio, latency, pci and agp timing. What happens if I change the cpu ratio? I ran a program call cpuid and it showed it running default at 12.5. In the bios I can lower it all the way to 5.

does this help at all?

CPU(s)
Number of CPUs 1

Code Name Thoroughbred
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
Family / Model / Stepping 6 8 1
Extended Family / Model 7 8
Technology 0.13 µ
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE
CPU Clock Speed 1662.6 MHz
Clock multiplier x 12.5
Front Side Bus Frequency 133.0 MHz
Bus Speed 266.0 MHz
L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Cache 256 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 1662.6 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 64 bits

Mainboard and chipset
Motherboard manufacturer
Motherboard model KT400-8235,
BIOS vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
BIOS revision 6.00 PG
BIOS release date 03/28/2003
Chipset VIA KT400 (VT8377) rev. 0
Southbridge VIA VT8235 rev. 0
Sensor chip Winbond W83697HF

AGP Status enabled, rev. 3.5
AGP Data Transfert Rate 8x
AGP Side Band Addressing supported, enabled
AGP Aperture Size -1 MBytes

Memory
DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
DRAM Size 256 MBytes
DRAM Frequency 133.0 MHz
FSB:DRAM 1:1
DRAM Interleave none
CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 7 clocks
# of memory modules 1
Module 0 Samsung DDR-SDRAM PC2100 - 256 MBytes

Well, the northbridge is a KT400, and I had one of those boards. It was an Epox board, which is different from what you have. It didn't have a divider option, or an AGP/PCI lock, which prevented it from working well for me as an overclocker. The fact that this is an obscure brandname doesn't help any. I was able to get my FSB with the KT400 chipset to 180mhz without much problem, but after that it wouldn't even post. The Epox board has the same Pheonix bios like yours. But since this isn't an Epox board, there are going to be some differances. But since they have the same basic layout, chipsets, and bioses, they should be similar.

Cpu ratio should be the same thing as multiplier. If you change it you will change the speed at which your cpu operates. The speed is based off the formula of Multiplier X Frontside Bus. So you if you moved your ratio up, to say 13, you would have 13x133mhz, which is 1729mhz, which in Ghz is 1.73Ghz. Generally speaking, it's much better to aim for higher Frontside bus(also known as FSB) with a lower mulitiplier or ratio.

What Deathknight said about being able to control voltages is so very true. For good results in overclocking you want something that has lots of options, and brands vary on which options they allow their users to control alot.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Back