• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Passive s/b cooling not enough??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funko

hey guys, i have an Asus a7n8x del rev 2.0 running, more edtails in sig...

i recently installed active cooling on my northbrdige, i'm at work and i forgot what it was, the enclosed copper fan that comes with 2 smaller pieces of copper as "heatsinks" maybe vantec something? glacier? ehh anyways....

i also needed to cool my s/b @200 fsb as the audio output was noisy (static-y when volume was turned up and nothing was playing.)

so i looked at the tiny heatsinks that came with my nb/vga cooler and opted for teh stock nb aluminum taller heatsink to put on my s/b...

i cleaned the bass of the n/b, and used thermal tape to mount it on my southbridge......

however, my audio output still has a bit of noise... its reduced, but if i raise my volume during gaming, or large video playback.....(ogg stuff etc etc) i can hear noise when the audio goes quiet, and i'ms upposed to be hearing silence....

its not anything obnoxious, but i'm just thinking that its probably not going to be a good thing in terms of long gaming sessions, since i read that s/b inadequate cooling could lead to instability, for some reasons i haven't figured out yet.

....or is the onboard audio known to have a slightly noisy signal? (analog light green connection, speakers dont exhibit the same noise with other sources)

i'm reluctant to put in more active cooling just for my sb....

is not the board problem don't play with it... is the sound software soundstorm need update it. People are waiting for new nforce driver released so they fix the sound bug. is good to cool the s/b that will make the broad more stabe... Cool always better than hot because when it hot.. uwill be like this :)mad: ) hahhaha....

probably a driver problem, or the hardware is bad. one of the nvidia engineers told me himself that the sb doesnt need a heatsink on it.

SpaceRangerJoe said:
probably a driver problem, or the hardware is bad. one of the nvidia engineers told me himself that the sb doesnt need a heatsink on it.

Has he ever touched one? :eek:

although i cant say with certainty one way or another, i would imagine he probably has.

but after thinking about it, maybe he said they didnt need an "actively" cooled sb... hmm, who knows :D!

do you think the aluminum does any good w/ thermal tape, i mean, it dosn't pull as much as copper, and thermal tape dosn't pull as much as thermal paste, plus, arctive silver does have thermal adhesive paste, might wanna pick some of that up

- - I would say the tape immediately makes it not worth while...always use thermal adhesive whenever possible...
- - My southbridge is cooled by a single blue ThermalTake Ramsink (big thing, quite sufficient - designed to cool half a DIMM) and yet when i go to LAN parties where the room temp is like, 90*F [yes, 90*F...it is in an attic...] my sound still goes out.
- - I have static when plugging my headphones into my Klipsch speakers, but when i go directly into the mobo, there is no static; so that may be the speakers...
- - I use the original nForce driver pack, as i heard that the current one blows, lol.

Back