• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

210fsb c/w nf7-s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snip3r

Registered
Encountering crackling sound when using winamp but no problems when I'm running 200fsb.

Is it due to the hot southbridge of the Vchipset is not enough. Using 1.7v now.

This issue seems to be a mixture of drivers and heat on the southbridge. Adding cooling to the southbridge may eliminate some, or all of the crackling.

drivers I dont get you? IF it's the drivers, which one shall i install? I'm running mwar's.

BTW, can I confirm if it's the southbridge overheating or is it insufficient Vchipset? ;)

when i got past 222fsb my sound started cracking with playing with winamp but now at 227fsb with a heatsink / fan on SB and its fine

but this only happened when i typed :)

so it IS indeed the southbridge that is acting up and yeah while I'm typing :)

So how did you guys normally cool your SB. Is a passive heat sink sufficient?

1.6v and 1.7v will take me how high of a fsb w/o any problem w/ exception of the sound problem.:p

my soundstorm was crackling from day one at default speeds(166fsb)... i put a small nb heatsink from my bros intel board and the sound problem went away...

a little off topic: are you sure you NEED 1.7V at 210 fsb? i found that 1.7V is needed from 218-220(not sure where exactly since i jumped from 217 to 220 and found that increasing vcore, vdim did nothing but increasing vdd made everything 100% stable)

slapped a passive heat sink to the southbridge and the crackling sound is still there. When I used my finger to touch it, it is warm and not HOT previously.

My Kingston 2 x DDR400 BH5 settings is 7-3-3-2.5 @ 2.8v <-- just to be sure the RAM is not acting up
Vcore 1.725
210x11

Yeah..it still happens when I typed. Hmmz..

here's another 'fix' that helps some ppl when cooling the sb doesn't help...

goto device manager/computer/acpi uniprocessor pc, update driver, install from specific location, don't search i'll choose..., select advanced config and power interface(acpi) pc

see if that helps at all

Back