• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x512mb Buffalo PC3700 or 2x256mb Mushkin Lv2 Black PC3500?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TomaHawk47x

for a 2500+ barton and an abit nf7-s rev2, should i get 2x512mb of buffalo pc3700 (BH-5) for $200 or 2x256mb of Mushkin lv2 Black pc3500 for $170? this is basically a quality vs quantity question, but i dont know which one outweighs the other in this case. i will be doing alot of gaming, and the rig will be overclocked.

Get the gig. Even on a purely OCing basis you should get within like 10MHz of the Mushkin with good timings. Plus it's twice the RAM!

--Illah

is a gig of ram a worthwhile purchase? i mean, but the time it makes a big enough difference to make it worth getting, will i still be using the same mobo and cpu? or will i get a solid 2 years out of high performance 512mb ram?

I faced that exact problem when I bought my Mushkin. I chose to go with 2x256MB because I think my next machine will need ECC RAM thereby relegating my current Mushkin to the Classifieds. Anyway, if you only get 512, you can always upgrade later on if necessary. The gains from DCDDR aren't that great for us AMD'ers so it's not like you'd be losing out on anything special.

~THT

actually non registerted memory will be back in about 6 monthes with the new amd-64 FX's and the works will be able to sue non-registered memory

what about 2x512mb buffalo pc3700 for $200 vs 2x512mb muskin lv 2 black pc3500 for $290? is the difference between these worth $90? how important are faster timings?

I wouldnt expect the difference between the 2 to be worth 90 dollars, especially considering they're both using BH5 chips. But let me warn you that without a good deal of vidimm (3V+ for hte most part) you wont get the 2-2-2-5 performance @ high speeds you want. For either the mushkin or the buffalo. If i was you, I'd get the two sticks of 512 buffalo, sure they wont overclock as far, but you will feel the diff between 1 gig and 512 mb of ram, I know from experience :).

Back