• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7v266-e

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Coolest

A7V266-E

*EDIT* Look at post #7

hey guys, i just got a cheapo upgrade for my SDR mobo, and its a A7V266-E for $30. now as it was a refurb, and not guaranteed to work I tested it out w/ a Duron 600 and a 128MB of borrowed DDR. Now the CPU select jumper is set to Duron/Athlon. When I put in my TbredB, should I switch it to Palomino?
And is there anything else I should do? (The CPU's default multi was modded to be x13 so it should be read as a 2100+).

*EDIT:* Has anyone installed the new 1015 BETA BIOS? If so what improvements if any did it give you?

Last edited:
I would put it too the pally Setting.

This is the first time I have come across a board with this setting. So try it both ways.

Good luck

Bumpage.

As I figured out when the board is set to palomino u can't change the multiplier on a TBird/Duron. So I guess I should use Palomino setting after all.

One more thing, I'm Priming it now at 150x5 (750MHz, duron is capable of over 900Mhz), and I'm getting lockups when I set the FSB to 158. The RAM is SpecTek PC2100, cheapo but at the most relaxed timings, and both at 2.65v or at 2.8v I get the same problem. I get a POST upto 158Mhz, get a boot into windows only at 154, at 150 it primes so far. Do you know what it could be?
The Duron I'm running is a very early Duron 600, its from week 31 of 2000. Do you think that its the CPU that is limiting the FSB OC?

Last edited:
At 158MHz FSB you're 'between' dividers. Check the PCI bus, it's probably way out of spec and that might very well be what's holding you back. I'm not sure that board even has a 1:5 divider, but if it does then you might run better at 166MHz FSB than at 158MHz.

its a KT266A board, it doesn't have the 1/5 divider.
What I've heard is that some kind of hidden setting is set to "Ultra" in the BIOS by defaul, and you can't access it to change it, and it's the thing that's holding these mobos back and stuck them at 160-ish MHz FSB

Well, I'm running the Tbred at 15x133 right now. I'm trying to set it to x13 or x13.5 or x14 (x14.5 is remapped to x21, so no x14.5) and it won't boot, just like with my old KT133A mobo. Although at the upper multies i can run w/ 133MHz FSB I still can't access the x13 for some FSB OC.

When it fails to boot, it boots up as "default" multi which it sets to x20.

Last edited:
Well, as I suspected, I've found that if I move the Athlon/Palomino jumper to Palomino I'd be able to boot. I did boot at x13, but then I couldn't change either the multiplier or FSB, it'd just result in a no boot. This is rediculous. Well there is a workaround though for people who are interested, using the wire trick, you can make the computer boot at x13-x14. Although this is for the A7V133, this should also work on the A7V266(-E).
here's the link: http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/Workarounds.htm
I think I will have to try it out sometime soon, coz I'm getting sick of FSB in the 130's.

*EDIT:* This is what I figured I'm gonna do:
using the above link I'm gonna force x4 bit to LO while the x8 bit is HI, which basically gives you x8-x4 = x4, so effectively I get Selected multiplier + 4 (and not 8, like it used to be with a wire or 5th L3 cut), as my L3s are already cut for x13 I have x8 bit enabled already so I just need the wire to force the 4th bit to LO.
As my chip is 1.6v default the ASUS mobo lets me set vcore of 0.2v higher than stock, so by connecting those pins, I lock the 0.05v at HI and I get 1.65v stock, so my max vcore will go from 1.8 to 1.85.

wiretrick.PNG

Wish me good luck, gonna try to pull this off tommorow.

Last edited:
Well I did this wire trick and got the same effect as using the Athlon/Palomino jumper, bah. I could POST at x13 easily, but then I couldn't change multiplier or FSB, so this mod is actually pretty useless for A7V266-E users. Although the vcore mod did work and I now have a max of 1.85volts in the BIOS.
Now Priming the chip at 15x141 (2115) @ 1.89v (1.85v in BIOS) for about 9 hours. I'm gonna let it rip another 5 and a half hours till I have to leave and shut off the comp. But after some GTA VC and UT2k3 it does seem pretty stable.

The Coolest,

just wondering if youhave sorted it out yet?

I have an A7V-266e, bios 10.15 and a Tbred B 2100+.
I have the jumper on Athlon/Duron.

This unlocks the multipliers for my CPU from 13 to 20.
No the CPU hasn't been modified to unlock multipliers. Stock standard.

Currently running 17x145 = 2465. 1.8V.
My Corsair XMS2400 is limiting my overclock higher.

So if you still have your jumper on Palomino, change it. Boot into bios and change the multiplier and fsb. Make sure you have the latest bios though.

The latest bios corrects temperature readings over the 10.13 bios. The A7V-266e was notorious for higher than normal temps, by about 5 to 10 deg C. Bios 10.15 reduces it by about 5 to 10 deg.

Nope I found out it wasn't stable at 2115, and now I'm stuck at 140x15. When I changed it to Palomino, I did get it to boot with 13x133 but when I tried to change anything, either FSB or multiplier I've got a no post. I'm not sure why this is happening, but I'm assuming this is a problem with the chipset, the same problem that KT133 chipsets have (just with a workaround).

I can't go over 2100MHz with this chip so I can't use higher FSB. I could go to low multiplier range, but then 158x12.5 would only give me 1975MHz, which is no good either.

The Coolest said:
Nope I found out it wasn't stable at 2115, and now I'm stuck at 140x15. When I changed it to Palomino, I did get it to boot with 13x133 but when I tried to change anything, either FSB or multiplier I've got a no post. I'm not sure why this is happening, but I'm assuming this is a problem with the chipset, the same problem that KT133 chipsets have (just with a workaround).

I can't go over 2100MHz with this chip so I can't use higher FSB. I could go to low multiplier range, but then 158x12.5 would only give me 1975MHz, which is no good either.

When you have it on the "Palomino" jumper, you can't change multipliers. Leave it on Athlon/Duron, if you want to manipulate multipliers. It's not a chipset problem.

Maybe your 1700+ can't go much higher than 2100Mhz. Heat? Better heatsink?

My 2100 tbred will go up to 2400mhz. I also have a heatsink on the clock generator and a bigger heatsink on the northbridge.

I know that my chip is limiting me to 2100 as its a pretty crappy stepping, but what I meant in chipset problem is the non-existant ability to POST at x13, x13.5, x14 with my Tbred, as x14.5 gets remapped to x21 is doesn't really matters if I was able to POST with this setting or not.

I was reading over the forums and this thread cought my eye, first off im somewhat new to o/c about a year no hardcore stuff till kinda now. I currently have a homeade watercooled cpu so no concerns on heat now. I also have the a7v266-e chip as which you guys are talking about. I have a a athlon xp 2000 (unlocked)
And i can get it to 2.099 mhz using 167/42 x 12.5. Now my board options for the multyplier are as follows

5/14.5
12.5/13.5

And i have tried every jumper and bios option to try to get my board to use higher multipliers. But it just wont now i see you say ur getting higher multipliers with the a7v266-e can someone explain me how to do it, i would be very greatful :) Thanks

Nir

The XP2000 only has multipliers 12.5 and below unlocked.
That's the highest the cpu will go, unless you cut certain bridges.

I have a XP2100 Tbred B. Whose default is 13. And has multipiers above 13 unlocked. That's the difference. If I wanted to use multis lower than 13, I would have to cut bridges on the cpu too.

well I can explain how to get to the high multipliers, its pretty easy to do, but i gotta warn you about one thing, if u go high multi you will be able to only use x15 multiplier and UP the lower ones will not work. If you set the FID jumper to Palomino you will be able to boot at one of the x13-x14 multies, but if you change any settings for speed you will get a no boot.

What I wanted to ask you tho is how did you get such a high FSB with this board, I know some of them would just top out at 158MHz FSB. I'm not sure why my board did that, it either was the RAM or the motherboard, I got a BIOS Checksum error at anything higher than 158MHz FSB.

Ok, to get high multipliers all you need to do is a "wire-in-socket trick". You take a single strand of wire (I used a strand from a wire in a cut up PSU molex connector) make it into a U shape, and insert into 2 specific pin holes on the socket. for those specific pin holes check out the next link and look at the BOTTOM pic and the circled red line
Clickey, Clikey

Thanks for the info, im kinda alittle weary of doing it with just a picture to look at. Kinda dont understand it fully did some searches not many articles on that but i did find some where saying that u can close the 5th hole on the L3 one. Any thoughts on that?

I couldnt get the board up to 167/42 at first i had to turn the ram ratio to 133:100, and change the settings thing that says optimal or normal to normal then i could. It doesnt like 168/42 though or actually 167/42 but it runs smooth at 166/42.

Thanks again,
Nir

Processor is Athlon xp 2000 Tbred

well the FSB heavily depends on the RAM being used, if you have a cheap PC2100 RAM then its understandable that it would not work at that speed.
about this wire trick, just do a search on the AMD CPU forums, you'll find a bunch of usefull info
Also you will need to open the 5th L3, not close it. Before the wire trick was "discovered" I already opened up two bridges so my chip is now actually being recognized as an XP2100+.

To do that I opened up the last L3 (5th) for the upper multiplier range, and the middle (3rd) to get a 2100+ setting.
You can find LOTS of info about opening up a bridge here look for how I did it using my PSU (Better than the battery method) on page 3 or 4

Thanks alot man, tonight im gonna give it a pop with my psu.

** Update**

It worked got the 2000xp running at 2.290 my only problem im running into is if i go any higher then that windows xp wont start not sure if its a safety feature or not.

Last edited:
Back