• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What can we do if we delete BIOS and shut the Power ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

STONEGOLEM

Registered
I want to learn something:

If my BIOS is deleted for some reason. For example while BIOS flashing, or overvoltage etc.

What can we do?
How can I flash it without proffessional help?

I have heard something about inserting a floppy diskette to drive with flashing program and a working BIOS with an autoexec.bat file which contains something that automatically flash the BIOS (that we can't see) etc. Is this true ? or there is another way?

I want to learn it because maybe one day it may be needed. I want to be prepared. :)

while u flash your bio and u shutdown the computer. the bio will be pancake. :) but no fear. just replace the damn bio chip ($20 shiped). also, most the board today go amdflash.exe at first boot. ALT+ F2 will access to it. if u flash your bio and u shutdown the computer. as long as u can access to this flash.exe and u still have the backup bio bin. u can flash it again.. otherwhile. replace the bio chip. don't worry.. the chip won't bite.... hahahahahah

:)

Ok.

I have an A7N8X Deluxe MotherBoard with 1.006 BIOS, then I must copy the 1.006 BIOS file in a floppy disk for an emergency situation :)

If the BIOS screw up one day, I can ALt+F2 at start up and insert that disk for replacing BIOS file.

Am I right ?

STONEGOLEM said:
I want to learn something:

I have heard something about inserting a floppy diskette to drive with flashing program and a working BIOS with an autoexec.bat file which contains something that automatically flash the BIOS (that we can't see) etc. Is this true ? or there is another way?

Yes, this is true and it works.

I had a bad bios flash experience and thought I would have to replace the bios chip, but I found out that Asus has incorporated a feature into there motherboards that allows you to recover from that.

All you have to do is remove the video card and and use a disk as you described above.

Saved my rear:)

Al

Ok, let me ask

A Floppy disk contains:
AWDFLASH.exe (BIOS flash utility)
c18d1006.bin (a good working BIOS file)

Now, I need to write a "autoexec.bat" file because I can't see anything and I can't try it any other computer for understanding the sequence.

What is in that "autoexec.bat" file ? is it like:

AWDFLASH c18d1006.bin
(I think this means "flash BIOS with c18d1006.bin")

and how it starts? I insert floppy to drive and "power on" the PC... and the "autoexec" runs atomatically (hmmm. I think this is why it's name is "autoexecute" :D ) But if my memory serves, one of my friend says that we must give a command key to run that "autoexec", but I can't remember exactly.

yours respectfully... Stonegolem

STONEGOLEM said:
Ok, let me ask

A Floppy disk contains:
AWDFLASH.exe (BIOS flash utility)
c18d1006.bin (a good working BIOS file)

Now, I need to write a "autoexec.bat" file because I can't see anything and I can't try it any other computer for understanding the sequence.

What is in that "autoexec.bat" file ? is it like:

AWDFLASH c18d1006.bin
(I think this means "flash BIOS with c18d1006.bin")

and how it starts? I insert floppy to drive and "power on" the PC... and the "autoexec" runs atomatically (hmmm. I think this is why it's name is "autoexecute" :D ) But if my memory serves, one of my friend says that we must give a command key to run that "autoexec", but I can't remember exactly.

Yes, you need an autoexec.bat file on the disk, Dos will autorun it at bootup. The bios recovery routine will automatically look for a Dos disk in drive A: if the video card is not present.

The Autoexec.bat file should contain the following line:

Awdflash.exe c18d1006.bin /py /sn /cd /cp /cc /LD /R

The switches after the Awdflash command will auto flash the bios,
and remember, the disk MUST be a bootable Dos disk.

After the flash is completed, the computer should start beeping like mad, then you can shut it down and reinstall your video card.

I created my disk on another computer and I keep it handy just in case I may need it again;).

Hope this helps you.

Al

Last edited:
Maximouse said:

Hope this helps you.

Al

Thank you my friend.

This is exactly what I want to learn.
I just made an "emergency BIOS rescue disk"

I have a spare PCI video card for saving my main agp card's bad BIOS problems.

I think these two will save me at hard times.

Thanks all who want to help.

Is this all Asus boards?

I think we can use this method for any board whatever Asus or not. The importance is the correct "BIOS flash utility", a "working BIOS file" and a valid "autoexec.bat" which be able to start the auto bios flashing sequence.

(Maximouse, please correct me if I fail to explain the event.)

yours respectfully... Fallen

STONEGOLEM said:

I think we can use this method for any board whatever Asus or not. The importance is the correct "BIOS flash utility", a "working BIOS file" and a valid "autoexec.bat" which be able to start the auto bios flashing sequence.

I dont know if all other boards incorporate this feature.

Asus has the feature which allows you to recover from a bad flash or failed bios built into their boards. It utilizes a special bootblock routine which accesses the floppy drive if the video card is not detected which boots the dos from the disk.

Both my A7N8X Deluxe 1.04 and my A7V8X-X have the feature, I should check to see if my Abit KD7 does it as well.

You would have to do some searching on other MB manufacturers sites to see if they also incorporate that feature into their boards.

Al

Does anyone know if Gigabyte has this feature? I can't find anything on their website, but I may not be asking the right ?'s. I have an 8KNXP that failed the flash.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, just need some help. THX

txtootall said:
Does anyone know if Gigabyte has this feature? I can't find anything on their website, but I may not be asking the right ?'s. I have an 8KNXP that failed the flash.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, just need some help. THX

Try removing the video card and powering on your computer. If the floppy drive is accessed then you might be able to do it with a bootdisk containing the flash prg and bios file for your board.

Al

Back