• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help, nf7-s 2.0 -sigh-

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flewdefur

i have happily been running my system with the nf7-s for a little more than a month now. IT was great, voltages stable, decent oc (2ghz) some good ram which i had hoped to do in dual channel once i got another stick. Life was good. Then i ordered a new gfx card to replace the one i was using as a temp. Open my system drop the card in and hit the power button. The fans spin for a moment and the LEDs flash and the green mobo led comes on for a moment. But then all is silent. I tried the old gfx card (whch works for sure) and same deal. The red mobo light is on and the lan gets power, so i know power is coming from the psu. but when i hit power the psu never like starts its fans. Im guessing (and kinda hoping) that the bios has just become corrupted or something, but i do not know.

So basically, is it the bios that is stopping it from poweriinng up or is there some other options to explore. like i said the mob gets power (red led) just wont boot. its been running for a month so i kinda doubt its the psu (gonna swap it out and test later tonight). if you guys think its the bios im gonna order one of those survival chip dealies but unfortunately it wont come till monday at the soonest. I've checked all connections for shorts, undone all case fans drives, reseated everything all i acn thik of is the mobo bios.

sorry i didnt search around for all other posts, as you can imagine im quite disgruntled at the moment. and with school tomorrow and work tonight i dont have a whole lot of time to play around. worst part of this is, my friend is hosting a lan party this saturday and now im prolly gonna be the looser without a comp to play with!

thanks, sadly, Peter.

Hrm other possibilities are that you fried something with an electrostatic discharge. Or you could have knocked a cap off installing the card.

Clear cmos is always worth a try though before you start resorting to drastic measures...

EDIT: One last easy thing to check. Not sure how it coulda happened but you may want to make sure that all of your front panel connectors are plugged into the motherboard correctly. I would find it odd that one of them was accidently unplugged installing a video card but stranger things have happened. If

i cleared bios, i removed the battery to even go a step further. I've checked all connections, and i even unpluged and removed all non essential items. its basically on bare bones mode atm. Im leaning towards, and kinda hoping that its the bios. I ordered the replacement chip, so hopefully that'll fix it. I've never had a bios or a comp fail like this before so i cant be totally sure on my analysis.

thanks for the suggestions.

-Peter

ive never had to experiance a corrupt ibos before, but im certain that it doesnt stop the psu from powering up. It seems to me either your psu is the problem, or else the board is grounding on the case.

try re-mounting the motherboard.

Back