• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual lan setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

325cic

okay.. I need some expert to show me how to setup the a dual lan so I can share internet connection with 2 different computer. I play game online alot and so is my brother. :) so I try to setup 2 different computer to go online with one DSL line. so my question is do I have to go to get the hub in order to setup so I can share internet or since asus have the dual lan, can that do the job that I want to. if Yes... please show me step by step please because when come to networking. I am a dummy.. hahahaha Thanks in advance.

You need a cross over cable.. and set up the second connection to share your primary connection.. if you have windows xp it shouldnt be very hard =d

come on guys.. we have so many a7n8x deluxe 2.0version... none got answer for me... :rolleyes:

cherryp00t said:
You need a cross over cable.. and set up the second connection to share your primary connection.. if you have windows xp it shouldnt be very hard =d

ok ok here it goes using XP
start/ control panel / network and internet connection/ set up or change your home or small office network/ ..... woe it then starts a wizard that says " Welcome to the Network Setup Wizard "

yeah it shouldnt be very hard

To then share any folder or drive right click on the folder then to properties/ and enable shareing

simple but then again thats if you have gone thru this time and time again on 98se its not so plain .....pray its xp ur using lol

yeah, I see you are using XP-home, so just go to the network setup wizard and follow that, offcourse have one of your lan-connections into the modem and the other one either with -a cross over cable OR - a hub.

This is how I did it.

but.. second option is, to get a hub, and hook the cabe modem in the HUB-InPUT and then hook both PC's up to the hub with a regular network cable, this is probablt the best option if you think about upgrading in the future with another pc added.

I would just use the dual onboard LAN in your (and mine) motherboard, the wizard will set it up for ya

ok i tried this and i cannot do it....liek i go thorugh the network wizard and set it up and so forth...and it will not work....when i try to view the workgroup computers it says i do not have permnission to acess it....

did you give permission on the drives/folder to be shared? did you perform a reboot stating with host machine first then the secondaries? Did you use a cross over cable? a regular cable will not work....tell us what you DID do and we can help you better

ok here is what i have done...
i have ran teh network wizard and i either get an eror or it goes through but does not work....

i am useing a switch which is connected to one of my lan ports...
and the other one is connected to my dsl modem...

i have been racking my brain and i cannot figure out how to get the internet connection sharing to work...
please help!!!

Is your DSL provider a static IP or dynamic ip (DHCP).If it's static i beleave u need to enter the ip address on each internet connection to the specific computer. And is your Domain set to Mshome. And u ran the wizard on each machine. At the end are u told would u like to create a network set up disk for another computer and u run that on the other computers( one connected with the crossover cable (Color of the cable should be yellow).
the other thing might help is to right click on task bar/properties/Start Menu/Customize/Advanced/scrolldown onthe start menu items to My Network Place And check the BOX .....ok then apply .... Now u have My network Places in the start menu see if u can see the other computer ? Ok thats computer to computer but most DSL u need to add the ip manually that im aware of using. Call your provider and have him configure it over the phone its customer service and its part of what u pay for.

The other thing is to go to Control Panel/network connections/now on the Lan or High-Speed internet or Network Bridge right click one the Local Area Connection /Properties Sheck the box that says Show icon in notification area when connected ..ok

Also on that Local are connection Properties u can configure a static ip of your Dsl service.

I have Cable using Dynamic ip (DCHP) so its different and on my Network bridge is where my Local Area Connection appears because of a notebook computer i hook up with my 2nd nic on my A7N8X Deluxe .

Take it slow if u get frustrated it can be a pain.

ok i have a yellow cord connected to my dsl modem and my ip is dynamic so i cannot set it at each pc....also i have done this before with my other mobo no problem...i just ran the wizard and everything was fine..

just whenever i run the wizard it makes an error and so forth...

when i click on "view workgroup computers" in my networkplaces an error that says

" parker is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this networm resource. contact the admnistrator of this server to find out if you have access oermissions. the list of severs is for the workgroup is not currently avaialble."

I mean i have set this up a million times before and now for some strange reasone i cannot seem to set this up....
oh another thing on my switch the lights are all lit up but not blinking at all..

in the network connections here is what i have
the nvidia lan(dsl is currently hooked up to)
the 3com lan
and a 1394 net addapter...

also i have the 3com program running too....will that mess it up?

urrg

ok i got the ics to work i just cannot network the computers like...i cannot seem them but they can see themselves but not me
they are running
98se and win me...

only thing i use my second lan connection for is my ps2, hehehe, gamecube has it's own router spot, lol

i'm sure you all know, but for others to share the internet from that second lan connection, that computer has to be on

routers are always the way to go if you have cable internet

Agent Z said:
ok i have a yellow cord connected to my dsl modem and my ip is dynamic so i cannot set it at each pc....also i have done this before with my other mobo no problem...i just ran the wizard and everything was fine..

just whenever i run the wizard it makes an error and so forth...

when i click on "view workgroup computers" in my networkplaces an error that says

" parker is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this networm resource. contact the admnistrator of this server to find out if you have access oermissions. the list of severs is for the workgroup is not currently avaialble."

I mean i have set this up a million times before and now for some strange reasone i cannot seem to set this up....
oh another thing on my switch the lights are all lit up but not blinking at all..

in the network connections here is what i have
the nvidia lan(dsl is currently hooked up to)
the 3com lan
and a 1394 net addapter...

also i have the 3com program running too....will that mess it up?

urrg

The crossover cable is from computer to computer and not for the DSL modem to connect that is a normal lan cable.So connect out using your crossovercable plugged into your A7N8X to another computer and your DSL connected to your A7N8X comming in with a normal cable.Win98 uses a different domain its workgroup so you need to change it mshome to see it in the same domain or simply go find the domain and click into that but you'll only see those on that domain name and not the others.

Back