• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buffalo 3700 w/ BH-5 is cas 2.5???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

I was testing at just 200FSB at 2-2-2-6 and even at 2.8v I was getting funny freezes and stuff. I checked the Winbond site and it says the chips are cas2.5 - backing it down is allowing memtest to survive.

I keep hearing about people at 215MHz+ 2-2-2-5 w/ 2.8v, did I just get a so-so pair of sticks?

--Illah

Actually, I think it's time for an RMA...

memtest.jpg

--Illah

I just had to rma mine for the same reason. Mine wouldn't even run 400 at 2.5 3 3 7 so it was gone. Mine would pass memtest but the machine was really unstable and would crash prime all day. I think there might have been a bad batch or something, I would go ahead and rma.

Yeah, it was essentially DOA! I just did a cross-ship RMA w/ Newegg, hopefully the replacement works!

--Illah

Howdy Illah

yes, mine are 215 @ 2,2,2,5 2.8v. 220 @ 2.5,3,3,6. benches higher with sandra @ 215 tight. Definate RMA for you bro. sorry, that sucks.

J.

Yeah, even if they were weak sticks that only did 200 2-3-3-6 (what I ran before) I would have kept them cuz at least it would have been a dual channel gig of RAM for a pretty cheap price. Upping to the DC gig was my main concern, I need more RAM for After Effects video-post work.

Of course, 220 2-2-2-5 wouldv'e been even better :) Cross your fingers on the replacement!

--Illah

Heres hoping this is a isolated problem, I have 2 512Mb sticks of this ram here waiting on the mobo and proc (which should be here next week). I hope my sticks don't suffer from problems like this.

You can (and will) find bad examples of anything. I've had four of the PC3700 sticks and two of the 3200 ones and all have been perfect. The 3700s run 450MHz at 2-2-2-5 with PAT in dual channel on the Asus P4P800 for me. The other set run (a cpu limited) 380MHz at 2-2-2-5 with GAT on F1 for me on my IS7. 10.500+ is the result on PCMark, I've got nothing but good to say about these inexpensive modules.

Buying from newegg you know they will make it right if you get a defective module, and since I've seen the same with even the most expensive memory brands and types I'd have to say it falls into the realm of normalcy, however inconvenient it might be. Best of luck on all your parts.

Yeah, for both sticks to be bunk (I tested together and individually) I think it may have been a shipping error, maybe they were shipping next to a giant electric motor that happened to have come on :)

I was shipped a DOA GeIL set on a friends build but only one stick was busted. It's strange for two random sticks to be broken from the factory and both of them to make their way into my order. Then again, I looked at serial numbers, they were only two apart (xxxxx6 & xxxxxx8).

Either way, theres too much good press going around to blame Buffalo straight out and NewEgg is top-notch. Hopefully the replacement works (it better, I need my PC working for both school and work, not just to play games).

--Illah

Very good point larva about all computer parts having a certain number of problem to success stories. Good thing I almost always order from newegg, their customer service is top notch. Either way though, heres hoping this buffalo does well with the Ic7 & 2.6C i have coming. :D

Chaintech Apogee nForce2. The RAM compatibility list shows compatibility with Buffalo w/ Winbond chips up to PC2700. I've thought about this being a problem, but Chaintech admitted issues with Corsair XMS (my old mem) and it still worked, it's just that it had boot issues when overclocked.

--Illah

Alright - gonna go pick up the replacement mem today from FedEx (why wait for delivery?) so cross your fingers that it'll work.

--Illah

UPDATE

I just got a new NF7-S v2.0 and the RMAed RAM and I think I found the sweet spot - 225FSB 2-2-2-6 w/ overclocked CPU/FSB paramaters (whatever that means). 2.9vDimm and 1.7 vdd :)

And it's dual channel! Overall considering dual, FSB increase, and better timings I should see 15%+ better mem performance or more depending on the benefits of a better mobo (I already see increased efficiency in Sandra so that could help over the old mobo as well).

--Illah

Back