• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could A motherboard kill a CPU and a HD???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skahtul

I have a Soyo Dragon running the KT333 Chipset. I have had it sitting around for a while and decided to throw some spare parts into it. I threw everything together and could not get it to boot. I tried a few more times until I smelt something not so good. It looks like my CPU and Hard Drive are toast. There is no way a Motheboard can kill both of these? Is there?

THANKS
ERIC

not usually a motherboard, though a good voltage spike through the board can kill anything and everything.

ive had board corrupt my drives but never destroy them (except when hit by lightning)

check the cpu for burns on the core, and use a good bit of lighting to look for burns/problems on the mobo.

we'll my apporach is never say never.. a mobo can DEF kill a cPU.. as for Hds i havnt seen it.. but nothing is impossible so it could have.. have you tested the HD in another computer?

Back