• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Potential FSB noob question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
Ok, I know a bit of OCing. I've played with the multipliers, FSB, and ram timings to the max I can on my board. Since I have a 266FSB Tbird, let's assume I put it in a board rated for 333MHz or 400MHz bus speeds (NF2, KT333/400, etc.). Would I be able to raise the bus speed to match those without my CPU burping, assuming a constant core clock of 1400MHz?

Basicly are CPUs touchy towards FSB speeds if the core is kept constant or close to it.

in my experience, no. cpus seem to be able to handle any fsb as long as its multiplier isnt to high. ive found its always either ram or a board or something else holding me back.

Well, I know my ram should be good for at least 150MHz (PC2400 Mushkin good stuff), so if I popped my tbird into a modern board (my Epox 8KHA stinks, KT266), maybe I could get a nice OC out of it for FSB bump and run a bit faster.

Thanks for the quick answer.

Voodoo Rufus said:
Ok, I know a bit of OCing. I've played with the multipliers, FSB, and ram timings to the max I can on my board. Since I have a 266FSB Tbird, let's assume I put it in a board rated for 333MHz or 400MHz bus speeds (NF2, KT333/400, etc.). Would I be able to raise the bus speed to match those without my CPU burping, assuming a constant core clock of 1400MHz?

Basicly are CPUs touchy towards FSB speeds if the core is kept constant or close to it.

Not sure I understand your question... but I'll try. Traditionally the CPU does not care what FSB it is running at. (There were some buggy 333mhz tbreds that had some issues but that was isolated as far as I know) It sounds like your chip is unlocked, so using your hypothetical situation... if you have a board capable of 200mhz FSB, then your CPU would be fine at 7x200 just the same as 133x10.5.

Voodoo Rufus said:
Well, I know my ram should be good for at least 150MHz (PC2400 Mushkin good stuff), so if I popped my tbird into a modern board (my Epox 8KHA stinks, KT266), maybe I could get a nice OC out of it for FSB bump and run a bit faster.

Thanks for the quick answer.

You could probably pick up a refurbished Nforce2 board of some kind in newegg refurbs for less than $75. Asus, Abit, Epox all recommended. That is the course of action I would suggest... no point in spending like $100+ on a new board... unless.. you are willing to upgrade CPU and memory as well. (I would consider it... 1700+'s and pc3200 ram are quite cheap right now)

Well, if I had the money, I'd love to upgrade to a PC3200/TbredB/NF2, and a new graphics card. For me, upgrades are matters of neccessity (as in something breaks). I did find a nice shuttle AK38N on newegg for $47, which isn't bad at all.

Pretty sweet deal. Got the 4 mount holes for my monstrosity of a waterblock, heard good things about it.

Epox boards are alright right? I ask because I had my ATX connector melt on me from heat/corrosion on two of the four 5V wires. Partially the PSU's fault.

Mines great, it is quite an early version so I can't quite get 200fsb. They are rereleasing the 8rda+... soon I hope.. i want another one.

Even keeping your existing ram you should be able to pick up quite a bit of performance by raising the FSB higher than the ram and enabling dual channel... if you have two sticks.

[edit]
this might shed a little light on what I am talking about:
http://www.deep-powder.net/OC_Guide/Mem_Mobo_CPU_Overclocking_Guide.htm#dualddr

Nope, just one stick, but still, I think it should be able to run at least as fast as 150. My previous stick did 160 at Cas2 and tight timings.

Back