• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP 2000 cpu NO GO!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

m3d4

I have been overclocking smaller machines for some time,no probs- celerons,p1,p2 etc.Thought id try my Athlon XP 2000 Thouroughbred?.Might as well of headbutted a brick wall.MSI KT4V Motherboard,bus to 280mhz supported.

I assume the multiplier is locked and the bus gives better performance on the increase roll anyway so i increase the bus from (12.5 X 133) by increments of 1 each time either in bios or through desk top program and gets to about 136mhz tops then crashes.Why?,thought AMD was the overclockers chip,why such a pitifull increase on a 1666mhz cpu.Whats the deal hear?.The motherboard specifically will overclock and states so so any ideas or have AMD locked the bus in some way.

Any help appreciated.

Lee
Sunny England (NOT)

Blit Uter, Dragoon

You sure its a t/bred? Also, what sorta cooling do you have, what PSU, also what ram are you using?
can you give the core code?

could it be that your hard disk does not like the fact that you're running it at above 33Mhz?

try overclocking using a higher multiplier.

If you have PC2100 RAM, then that's what's holding you back. Remember that any overclock relies on the RAM and mobo as much, if not more, than on the processor.

Thoroughbreds are unlocked; you'll be able to do any multiplier up to 12.5x on the KT4V; other boards such as the NF7 allow the full range of multipliers, but on the KT4V you'll need to do a mod to get multipliers above 12.5x.

Is your 2000+ a TBred A or TBred B? If it's a TBred A you won't be able to go much above 1.8ghz; if it's a B, you'll most likely do 2+ ghz easily.

But yeah, it's most likely your PC2100 that's holding you back. If you have something better than PC2100, I don't know what to say. Try decreasing the multiplier to make sure your processor isn't particularly anemic when it comes to overclocking.

Many thanks for the replies

Set up is kt4v via kt400 chipset
PC2700 333 ddr- motherboard showing at 333 (dont know brand/generic i think)
psu 350 Watt
FAN Akasa 785se copper base rated to 2800

Ill have a look at the setup in bios re the Ram and hard drive,
no idea wether t/bed A or B- dont know how to tell.
3d mark says it is a t/bed though- of course could be wrong.

Thanks all,
Lee

Back