• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have found some Hynix BT-D43 for sale at a good price - is it worth buying?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

felinusz

Senior Overclocking Magus
At a local store they are selling generic 512 meg DDR 400 modules with chips stepped as HY5DU56822BT-D43. They are selling for $115 (CANADIAN CURRENCY) each. I have heard that these chips are really good with a bit of voltage and loose timings - is this true? Is earched the forums and found varying information on them, most on the 256 meg modules - these are 512s.

Is this RAM any good, and is this price worth my time?

I was looking at Twinmos memory before this - and will still get it if this stuff is no good.

Note that I want to get RAM that will sync at 225 with a 2.5-2.0 CAS latency.

Thanks guys - I really appreciate any information! :)

Where is this store located? I might be interested too.

The usual nature of overclocking being a gamble applies but these sticks should have good if not great OC potential in terms of mhz. As for timings, I don't think these hynix chips will do CAS2 at any frequency but CAS2.5 at 225 hould not be difficult. I don't know if you could get 2.5-3-3, most likely 2.5-4-3 where the "4" is RAS-to-CAS delay.

I recently tested some Kingston ValueRAM pc2700 that had Hynix AT-D43 and did 234mhz at auto vdimm and 244mhz with 2.85V. Timings were really relaxed, though - 3-4-4-8.
Edit: and of course the BT are superior to the AT.

Cheers

Sounds good! I'll grab some and report the results.

I'll PM you with more info on location if you still want it.

Is the location a secret?:cool:
I don't usually use the PM feature. I'm not sure if it will work through my firewall but I'll try sending you a message to see if it works.

I just don't want the store to get mobbed ;)

Actually - I have a good friend from another forums who is wanting to grab some of this stuff as well, while it lasts - I have no qualms with sharing the store location privately but I want to give him a good chance of picking some up as well - seeing as he had a large part in finding the RAM :).

I'll PM you right now.

O.K - I'll hit you up as well :) - I just went to the store and they still have 6 sticks left, so I can share with all - plus, the guy was so helpful I feel that I should thank him somehow - by spreading the word and selling all his stock perhaps? Note that I don't think he will ship it out - you might *have* to go in - but he will reserve it for you.

Right now mine (2 x 512 modules) has passed three loops of memtest86 @ 225 (out of sync) @ 8, 4, 3, 2.5 - 2.7 VDIMM. It seems that these modules do an awesome frequency clock - but with the disadvantage of having really lazy timings - mine won't go above 215 with anything but CAS 3, or a VDIMM increase to 2.7 (and memory voltage still scares me as I haven't done much memory overclocking - although I suspect once I get used to it I will be overvolting like crazy...).

As an AMD user I really should have just gotten the Twinmos that cuts a CAS latency of 2 @ around 220 - but these were cheaper and local - *and* I got to ride the Toronto Transit system for 4 hours getting to the store and back!

I am a *little* bit dissapointed - I had dreams of running 120% out of sync DDR 5000 style with little voltage increase - but I also think that my crappy chipset with it's low voltage might be contributing to my results - time for a VDD volt mod! :)

If anyone else wants the store name just ask and I'll PM you - my friend will make it there (I reserved some for him :D) O.K, and I like to share. :)

I am a *little* bit dissapointed
I am sorry if anything I said in my first post was misleading. Perhaps I should have said more about the relaxed timings. I think you said you got CAS2.5-4-3-8 with 2.7V at 225mhz? That's alright for these hynix but I was pretty sure there would be more mhz with CAS2.5 even if it requires more volts. Can your vdimm go higher? I pumped 2.85V through the hynix AT-D43 chips I had a few weeks ago for hours while memtesting and they came through alright although they raised the temp in my case. The chips scale really well with relaxed timings but maybe that's a little better for Intel. Please let me know how any further testing goes. I may pick up a pair tomorrow - if he has any left :) .

Cheers

He's got 6 right now :)

I think my chipset is the problem - I can't get my FSB stable above 211, and running RAM out of sync with an AMD system is traditionally a bad idea - if a fun one to consider ;). My damn board gives me memory voltages only up to 2.8 - it might be time to do the VDIMM volt mod as well ;) :) *yay*.

I also just got an error at 2.7 VDIMM/225, 8, 4, 3, 2.5 - 2.7. :(

I can't complain though - the price was great even for normal DDR 400, and it beats the snot out of my old Infineon 333 that performed as 266 for some reason...

Back