• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick nf7-s V 2.0 SATA ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frumpco_

I am thinking about picking up a SATA drive would you be able to use just one drive on the SATA connection or does it need to be setup in a RAID config inorder to use the SATA connections

Thanks

I am thinking about picking up a SATA drive would you be able to use just one drive on the SATA connection or does it need to be setup in a RAID config inorder to use the SATA connections

Yes, you can use it as a single drive or in a RAID array. :)

FYI you need to install the drivers in order to use the drive. Even though the drivers are labeled as RAID drivers you still need to install them if you want to run a single sata drive. I don't think the manual was very clear on this point so I just figured I would point that out ;)

LOL Thank you Deathknight I am going to pick up a 120 Gig SATA 8 MB cache along with the Abit board and 2X256 Corsair PC3200 Ram to replace my current board and ram..

Again Thanks for all the help!

OH something else to ask, is it possible to make a single SATA HD a system/boot drive?

Yes

FYI you need to install the drivers in order to use the drive. Even though the drivers are labeled as RAID drivers you still need to install them if you want to run a single sata drive. I don't think the manual was very clear on this point so I just figured I would point that out

Good point Deathknight. Also when you install your hdd, make sure to remove the jumper from it. I made that mistake when I installed my SATA hdd, it would not boot. Someone here in these fourms told me to remove it, I did, & it worked. :D I don't think that the manual tells you to do that.

Thanks Ducker, I will remember that for down the road, when you are setting it up as a system/boot drive anything special you need to do?

Well when you are installing windows you need to press F6 at the start of the install, a message will appear at the bottom of the screen that says something like:' press F6 to install third party raid or scsi drivers' or something along those lines. After the install is done loading the stuff it needs it will prompt you to press S to add a device driver. Press S and it will prompt you to insert the disk with the driver. Put in the driver disk, select the driver from the list, and then the install will continue as normal using the SATA driver. If you don't do this part when the install comes to the part where you format and partition the drive it will give an error message saying it cannot find the drive.

Thanks Ducker, I will remember that for down the road, when you are setting it up as a system/boot drive anything special you need to do?

No, just go ahead & install your os as normal. If you have anymore questions....post em. I'm sure someone on these fourms can give you good advice. There's a LOT of people here that know far more than I. ;)

Good luck.

*Edit*

Well when you are installing windows you need to press F6 at the start of the install, a message will appear at the bottom of the screen that says something like:' press F6 to install third party raid or scsi drivers' or something along those lines. After the install is done loading the stuff it needs it will prompt you to press S to add a device driver. Press S and it will prompt you to insert the disk with the driver. Put in the driver disk, select the driver from the list, and then the install will continue as normal using the SATA driver. If you don't do this part when the install comes to the part where you format and partition the drive it will give an error message saying it cannot find the drive.

Doh! See what I mean. :p Glad you caught that Deathknight, I forgot all about that. That may have ruined his day. :eek:

Yea that is what I was thinking that you needed to install the driver for the SATA.. I want to thank you both of you for your help and just can't wait till it comes

Frumpco_ said:
Yea that is what I was thinking that you needed to install the driver for the SATA.. I want to thank you both of you for your help and just can't wait till it comes

the driver install is OS dependant. not that i figure you'd be using win9x with that system, but in case you were. there is no way to install the sata drivers until after the os is installed.

with win2k u install the sata driver during the process as deathknight described. WinXP as well.

Also note, there can be problems from installing the sata drive as your boot drive if you have ide drives connected. the os will put the boot files on the first IDE drive by default. easiest solution is just to leave ATA IDE hdd's disconnected until after windows is set up on your sata drive as C:\

enjoy!

J.

Ducker said:

When you install your hdd, make sure to remove the jumper from it. I made that mistake when I installed my SATA hdd, it would not boot. Someone here in these fourms told me to remove it, I did, & it worked. :D I don't think that the manual tells you to do that.

I think that just helped me :) No wonder my drive won't boot in SATA! Thanx!

Frumpco_ said:

The SATA driver was automatically installed when I ran the driver disk that Abit sent. Windows XP found everything with no problem.

You do need to set the bios in order to boot from SATA.

kagee108 said:

The SATA driver was automatically installed when I ran the driver disk that Abit sent. Windows XP found everything with no problem.

You do need to set the bios in order to boot from SATA.

Were you doing a fresh install of windows and making it a bootable disk? You can definatly put a SATA adapter onto an existing IDE drive by just installing the drivers then hooking up the adapter but if you are running winxp or win2k you can't finish the install without the method I described.

Deathknight said:

Were you doing a fresh install of windows and making it a bootable disk? You can definatly put a SATA adapter onto an existing IDE drive by just installing the drivers then hooking up the adapter but if you are running winxp or win2k you can't finish the install without the method I described.

I was upgrading mobos from my at7a-raid. So I did a repair install, with the drive on the ide bus before putting it on the sata adapter. System boots, no problems.

Back