• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to identify rambus ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aaron_ATX

I have a board from a dell poweredge server with 2 xeon processors and some ram. I dont know much about intel gear but I am trying to determine a few things ~

A. will 2.4, 2.66, 2.8 intel xeon processors use either rambus or PC3500 ram?

B. how can I visually identify the ram that came with the board to determine if I need to buy some PC3500 to replace it ( will be getting a new mobo)

Thanks!

Welp I have determined that Rambus ram has 2 notches in the middle, and pretty easy to visually check.

Still need to know if the chips are dependant on rambus or can they use other types. I am assuming they can use whatever the motherboard supports.

Aaron_ATX said:
Still need to know if the chips are dependant on rambus or can they use other types. I am assuming they can use whatever the motherboard supports.

Your assumption is correct. There is nothing in those CPU's that dictates a particular ram flavor. It depends on your mainboard.

Back