• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wanna get some crucial but which???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alwayschyllin

Registered
I wanna get some memory, 1 gb, of something, from what i've read its good to get crucial or corsair...

I think the crucial is less expensive, but tell me what is the best crucial memory to get, and can you reccomend some good shops online. I'm familiar w/ newegg, but i dont seem to see crucial DDR400 Dual CHannel on there, I could be blind,

but point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Oh yeah wanna use this to OC a 2.4C P4 on either an IC7 or P4c800

Do yourself a giant favor and dig a bit deeper.

Crucial is owned by the Micron semiconductor company, and its modules carry Micron chips. Micron is sadly behind the technological curve, and its DDR SDRAM is about the lowest performing "name brand" on the market. Very poor for overclocking.

Corsair is very good ram, but costs a king's ransom. Unfortunately most if not all Corsair PC3200 and 3500 currently made uses Winbond CH5 chips, rather than the older (and preferrable) BH5 chips. CH5 is not bad (much better than anything Crucial/Micron), but is not worth the kind of prices Corsair demands.

Since you intend to overclock with the 875 chipset, it would really pay to get something (anything) with Winbond BH5 chips. The three common ways to get these chips at this junture is:

1) Buffalo PC3700 from newegg (~$99/512MB)
2) Kingston HyperX 3000 from newegg (~$120/512MB)
3) Mushkin PC3500 Level2 from newegg or straight from Mushkin (~how much do you have?)

There may be other ways to get BH5 chips, but the sources are ever-dwindling as I think Winbond has ceased production of this particular chip.

There are other choices that are suitable for this application, the various PC3700, 4000, and 4200 types. But these are hideously expensive and cannot run at as tight of timings as good 'ole BH5. They will tolerate a bit higher clock speed, but the latency penalty paid keeps them from outperforming the more affordable BH5s running at a lower clock rate and tighter timings.

I don't know for a fact that they have stopped producing them, but the existance of CH5 and the scarcity of BH5 in the market would make it seem likely. However cheap BH5s were to produce, you can bet CH5s are cheaper, or there would be no CH5. Economy of production is the principle driving force in mass produced goods.

Back