• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IC7 max3 with OCZ 2X256 PC3700 Gold

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Perre

Are there any known issues?

I just got this setup: abit ic7 max3, ocz pc3700 gold and intel 2.4c
= It overclocks like crap!!!

Are there any known issues with these manufactueres?

I get all sorts of instability all over the place.

I can run it stable @ 3GHz (250 with 3:2 divider) but that an awful waste of memory... :(

I'm just trying to rule out what kind of problems I might have.

Abit's are mighty picky once you deviate from the 1:1 mode. You might try it, your ram has a shot at running 250fsb in 1:1 (500Mhz).

In general Abit boards in async modes strongly prefer modules with the Winbond BH5 chips. There may be other type out there (from people like OCZ, Geil, etc) that work well at 5:4 on the IS7/IC7/Max3 series, but I don't know offhand what they are. BH5's are the safe bet, probably most easily purchased in your location as Kingston HyperX3000. Feel free to use the search function to investigate what other memory types work well at 5:4 on the Abits.

Do make sure you have the latest bios.

I changed the GAT to: auto-normal-5 clocks-disabled-disabled.

Before I it rebooted sometimes when I tried to run @ 255 (5:4) Now I'm running prime95 @270 (5:4) 1.6v, 2.8v on mems.

Once I find a stable fsb I will start playing with my memory.

Wow.. 1.8a @ 3.42... thats nice!!

Yes, I've got a talented cpu. It's one of the famed C1 SL6LA dell-pull 1.8a's from a year ago or so. It's the only way I can afford a 3.4GHz P4 right now.

What's nice about the 1.8a is the 18 multiplier. I don't have to crank the fsb way up to generate the MHz, making life easy on the ram. My Buffalo 3700 is loafing at 380MHz, but due to the 1:1 memory ratio, 2-2-2-5 timings, and F1,auto,auto,disable,disable GAT settings (and the general excellence of the Abit) I give up very little memory performance to anything. The few guys that have their memory well up over 400MHz while maintaining 1:1, tight timings, and at least Turbo on the GAT beat me, but the difference is not as large as the difference in cost between my setup and theirs.

I was professional a PC performance expert/system architect/component purchaser for over 10 years, and I always bring the full measure of my system design experience to bear on my personal machines. This forum is great in that I can attempt to assist others with these matters, and nothing makes me happier when I am able to do so.

I've been running prime for 5h now @ 270fsb. I will let it run all night to se if it's still on in the morning :p

It's nice to have peps like you arround when something happends :p

Keep up the good work!

IC7 and OCZ 3700

I personally use a regular IC7 in my main rig,
and thought that the OCZ 3700 gold would be
best thing to run at 1:1. (2.4c)

I did manage 1:1 up to 250mhz mem 2.5, 3, 3, 7 (slow but DDR500)

I now run it at FSB 270 (3240Mhz) 5:4 ratio, but not in dual DDR mode...

The machine will run really well at this speed, but will not run in dual-ddr at all beyond a certain fsb. Does anyone know whether a bios update will fix this (In my excitment for setting up the rig, i never got down to updating bios). Or is this simply a feature of this ram, on this particular Mobo..? Or perhaps is it an issue with the 875p chipset in general, that when you raise the Fsb, beyond a certain threshold...dual ddr becomes a problem.

Back