• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory performance when updating...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

qbas

Well my question is how much of a performance increase would i get if i upgraded from my 2x256 DDR PC2100 to a HyperX DDR PC3000 2x512?

that entirely depends on the speed you run your fsb/mem at, not on the speed the memory is rated for. pc3000 is not faster than pc2100 if both are running at 133mhz. pc3000 is rated for 380mhz DDR, or 190fsb. So, to get the extra performance from the pc3000 you will need to use a higher bus speed.

btw, the difference between memory bandwidth at 266mhz vs 380mhz would be quite large.

J.

The majority of the improvement you would see would be the fact that you would be increasing from 512MB to 1GB of ram. For some tasks this is very noticeable, for others hardly noticeable at all. It all depends on your usage of the machine.

Since you have an AMD system, you have to run the 1:1 mode for good performance. This means that you can't run the memory at a faster clock speed than your fsb, so unless the new ram allows you to increase the fsb you will see minimal performance differences. If your cpu is unlocked and you can increase the fsb significantly from your current level you will see goodly performance gains as a result, but simply installing the faster-rated modules with no other changes will not have any impact beyond the increased amount of ram.

Well my CPU is suppsoed to be unlocked as i am running my CPU at 142 FSB x 12.5/13x multiplier and i have now 1780Mhz and it is shown as XP 2000+. I have without OC a XP 1800+

Is the 1800 a new cpu also do you know what stepping it has and going form 266 fsb to 333 (133 to 166) shold give you about 10% increase in overall performance thats just a guess may be more or less depending if the clock speed on the cpu was keep the same.

qbas said:
Well my CPU is suppsoed to be unlocked as i am running my CPU at 142 FSB x 12.5/13x multiplier and i have now 1780Mhz and it is shown as XP 2000+. I have without OC a XP 1800+

Since your fsb is only at 142 better ram may allow you to run it at a considerably faster rate and will have a very beneficial effect on performance. Some people get boards like that to run fsb's as high 190-200MHz, but don't count on it. You should be able to get up to 166MHz or so very easily with high quality ram like you are considering, of course you will need to lower your multiplier to stay within your cpu's limits with the new, higher, fsb.

Well my Vcore for my CPU is at 1.675 to run it stable with 142 FSB with 12.5 multiplier. But how much can i OC if i have 52 degrees celsius on my CPU at the moment? Or can i lower my Vcore with better ram?

You're missing the point here. Right now you are running 142fsb x 12.5 => 1775MHz. Going to better ram won't necessarily allow you to run substantially more than 1775MHz or use less Vcore. What it will allow you to do is something like this:

170fsb x 10.5 => 1785MHz

This would be a lot faster in practice as it would give you a bunch of memory speed compared to running the board at only 142fsb. If you got lucky you might pull off something like:

187fsb x 9.5 => 1777MHz

nobody has asked what his mobo is....

If you try and run 170fsb on a 266 platform u could have some real problems. U need to be sure your boards chipset will support the desired speeds.

J.

Not to mention that you are probably at 2.5-3-3-7 timings and with that HyperX you should be able to run 2-2-2-6.

Heh, patience q... I'm tackling the fsb x multiplier aspect first... but your point is valid of course.

My mobo is a KT4 Ultra (FSB 333). And i get it now that i could get higher FSB's with less multipliers and that would be faster than using only say 142 FSB...like getting 170 FSB?

Oh and i can't get Spread Spectrum off, everytime i do that my computer freezes...any idea how i could do that without locking up?

Back