• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton or Tbred B

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lordvr

I'm thinking of upgrading my processor but I don't know what to get. I've heard people saying that 2500+ Barton is the way to go but then I've heard stories of 1700+ and 1800+ Tbred B actually overclocking and surpassing Barton. Which is the definitive choice?

i would go for the 1700 or 1800 over the barton just for the price because you're still gonna pay a little more for the barton for only a slight increase in performance...but i'm in the market for a 2500 barton now...since those prices are, hopefully, gonna drop now that A64's out.....

hitechjb1 said:
Tbred B 1700+/1800+:
cheaper
higher overclocking MHz
good for CPU benchmark, oc MHz bragging, and satisfaction
more fun

Barton 2500+:
lower overclocking MHz
but makes up to same system performance (within +- 2-3%) due to bigger L2 cache (256 KB bigger)
less power and 3-4 C cooler for same system performance (as the 1700+/1800+)

Either one of them is excellent choice for price/performance

For more details, click this link:

Comparing Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C and Barton 2500+ overclocking performance, power and temperature (page 14)

Lower voltage, shorter transistor channel length, lower transistor threshold voltage and Tbred B 1700+/1800+DLT3C (page 15)

The links provided are good technical information. My personal opinion is to go for the Barton. The extra cache is definitly a good thing and I think newer games will utilize the extra cache better and give a bigger improvement. Also I hear the Barton is really good for folding ;)

If you can spare the $33 difference I say go for the Barton.

Mhz wise, it will probably be about the same, Barton might be a little lower, but the Barton has the extra cache.

My Barton @ 2305mhz gave better benchmark results than my current T-Bred @ 2500mhz but I still prefer the T-Bred... everything just feels faster.

Back