• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin level 2 instability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TwistedAnimator

Registered
Hi,
I recently got a 512meg stick of Mushkin level2 3500 ram and put it into my A7N8X Deluxe. Since then, I've had random reboots. I know it has to be because of the RAM because it never did this before.

I ran several MemTest86 tests at my settings before booting into Windows with no errors. I have it currently running at 2-3-3-7 at 200Mhz. I was able to complete MemTest at 210Mhz with 2-2-3-5, but it would reboot the computer once in Windows. Not automatically though, sometimes it'd reboot right when I start up a game, but this last time it did it out of nowhere, about 5 min after playing a game. The other strange thing is that it never reboots when I'm in Linux.

CPU cooling is not a problem, I have an SLK800 with a fast 80mm Sunon. Also, I'm not running Folding@Home or any other strenous program at the time.

So my question is, is this a hardware or software problem? And, do I need more cooling on my northbridge than just the stock Asus heatsink for 200-220MHz FSB? What should I set the voltage on my memory to be? It's currently at 2.6V.

Thanks

trying upping the voltage to 2.8v, almost every stick of RAM can take it, and mushkin RAM just loves high voltage

stock cooling should be fine, most people find that cooling their NB improves stability more than OC ability

also, you can loosen your timings alittle bit

Ok, I'll try that. RAM just makes me nervous as I got two defective Corsair sticks in a row. That's why I decided to splurge and get Mushkin. But I'm bound and determined to get this RAM running at 217MHz with 2-2-2 timings. Is increasing the chipset voltage the same as increasing the RAM voltage? Because I don't see a setting for increase chipset voltage. Thanks for the reply!

Chipset voltage is different from vdimm. Chipset voltage is vdd. I used to have an A7N8X Deluxe and I believe the vdimm option is just below vcore but I'm not certain...it's been a long time :)

~THT

TwistedAnimator

If you still have any questions or problems, please email [email protected]

You can also post on our forum and someone there should be able to help you also.

Good Luck

Duonger

Back