• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin Black Level 2 PC3200 - BAILAMOS!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tyson-chris

For the longest time, I have been running my system at the settings my sig: 220x10, @2-2-2-11 (Obviously everything will be fsb/mem sync). Any higher than 220fsb, and there'd be no post, regardless of mem timings. Needless to say, I thought I had reached my Northbridge limit, and was somewhat content with the overclock.

Boy, was I wrong. I had heard a lot about the 10 and 10.5 multipliers not working with high fsbs on my NF7-S, but since I could boot fine at 220x10, I thought maybe my board was an exception; I thought that my FSB wall was northbridge related... Well, it turns out I was dead wrong.

A friend of mine suggested to try using 9.5 multiplier, and raising FSB. Before, with 10 multiplier, anything higher than 220fsb wouldn't even post. (I don't why I didn't think of this before, I'm an idiot...)

Well, I set multi to 9.5, booted 230fsb@2-3-3-7 timings. Passes Memtest no problems. 233fsb (memory now running at pc3700 speeds)@2-3-3-7, 4 errors in Test 5. 2-3-3-8, no errors. (Just for the hell of it, I try booting at 240fsb, 2.5-3-3-8. It posts, but won't get in to windows :p) I'm now running 233x9.5@2-3-3-8. All settings were with Dual Channel and CPU Interface Enabled. Now, this whole post wasn't entirely to congratulate myself :clap: , but also to add even more praise to this Mushkin ram. CAS2 @ PC3700 speeds! Only 2.75v (2.7v Bios, Board overvolts Ram a bit). I would up the voltage, but don't want to void my Mushkin lifetime warranty just to "try something out" :p

The only ram that I know of that does CAS2 @ PC3700 is the OCZ PC3700 Gold (although I'm sure that others do it too). Thank heaven for Winbond BH-5!

Okay, I'll get off my high horse now...

Did you reseat the NB on the board? Mine seems to want to refuse anything higher than 211 FSB without failing p95.

DDR466 at 2-3-3 is a good standard for memory, although it's worth remembering that loosening the tRCD-tRP of your memory causes a significant loss in efficiency that is greater then increasing the CAS Latency timing. Bandwidth would barely be affected, but gaming FPS' might reduce slightly. It's possible the 13MHz increase in speed counters these bonus' on your application, but it's worth a thought.

pake. i did in fact reseat the northbridge when i first got the mobo, before installing anything, i took it off, cleaned the TIM off with isopropyl alcohol and added as3... other than that, everything is pretty much stock... i noticed you're running 211 x 10.5... have you tried lowering to 9.5 and upping fsb? i had no idea until i tried and got amazing results...

speed_mechanic, that's a good point. running 233x9.5, @2-3-3-9, i just ran aquamark3 and got just under 40,000 (39,780). this around what i got at 220x10, 2-2-2-11, so it seems like there really isn't that much difference, altho as you say my synthetic sandra mem benches have gone up a bit...

tyson-chris said:
pake. i did in fact reseat the northbridge when i first got the mobo, before installing anything, i took it off, cleaned the TIM off with isopropyl alcohol and added as3... other than that, everything is pretty much stock... i noticed you're running 211 x 10.5... have you tried lowering to 9.5 and upping fsb? i had no idea until i tried and got amazing results...

speed_mechanic, that's a good point. running 233x9.5, @2-3-3-9, i just ran aquamark3 and got just under 40,000 (39,780). this around what i got at 220x10, 2-2-2-11, so it seems like there really isn't that much difference, altho as you say my synthetic sandra mem benches have gone up a bit...

Yeah, I've tried 9.5 and 9, but still can't get past 211. However, I haven't reseated the NB, so that may help a lot. I'll do that when I get a new case and all.

Back