• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new 1800+, old HD, and windows won't start

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ubermu

Registered
Here's the specs of my system:

JIXHB 1800+ with a SK-7 and smart fan 2
NF7-S
2x512 Buffalo 3700
Foltron 400w PSU
80gb ATA100 HD
9500 Radeon
Whatever CD-Rom
Wireless Ethernet card

First time I had the SATA setup (I didn't really understand how it worked) and windows wouldn't boot up. So I took out hte SATA setup and used the standard IDE cable and windows booted up ok. I then reinstalled all the drivers, restarted, I was ok. I then did the 9500 softmod with Omega drivers to 9700 and restarted, all of a sudden as the system restarted I got funny noises and the screen was all chopped up. I restarted it and it booted to windows loading just fine and then suddenly popped up with an error saying something along the lines of "Windows was unable to authenticate serial code", and then restarted me. I let it boot up again, it took me to windows loading and said "Unable to retrieve enough system memory" or whatever kind of memory that windows uses based on extra hard drive space. So then I tried again, no response this time and immediate restart. I just cant get past windows loading.

I tried upping the CPU voltage and that was a no go. I tried doing the SATA setup again because I installed the drivers in XP before I put in the softmod, no luck there either. So now I have a problem on my hands and I'd pinpoint it on the Radeon immediately if it wasn't for my inital failure to get into windows without messing with the hard drive cables. Can anybody lend a helping hand?

Oh, I haven't even started overclocking yet.

Another thing worth adding. I'm using the same hard drive I used on my other comp, a 1.6a overclocked to 2.5ghz. I didn't reformat it before switching to this new setup because I wanted to keep all my programs intact, I don't know if this causes any problems or not.

As I boot up it boots normally, and then sais 'windows is starting' now, and my mouse light turns on and my cd-rom goes crazy and starts running fast, and then the mouse light dies out and then the cd-rom and next thing I know system shutdown :< . Have no clue on where to go from here.

Was the old computer using a different northbridge? If so that could be the problem, I had a similar experience and ended up having to format the HDD. Hope you get it going. :)

if I can find a winxp CD I'll try a reformat. Sucks until then.

Oh and the system I transferred the HD from was an Intel 1.6, so I didn't know if there was compatibility issues to the AMD.

Bah thought it was possible. Oh well then it's definately time to find that winxp cd.

Yea it would seem you cant change motherboards under XP without completely reformating.

If anyone knows a way around this I'm all ears.

Back