• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

barton 2500 noob question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koler

Registered
So I put my 2500 in my a7n8x deluxe.
I right clicked on my computer and checked to see how windows recognized the cpu,
It just said 1.1 ghz. WTF?
I am using a cheap 1 X 512 pc2100 value ram...I have corsair 512 Pc3100ll X2 ON THE WAY.

mY QUESTION IS why does my 2500+ read so low? Is it cause my crappy ram? Also u know how ppl talk about how windows recognizes there cpu..they will say that it says 3200
+ at 2.2 ghz. where is it that one can check this..I was guessing it was under my computer properties. And why does mine just sat 1.1 ghz?
:(

When you put a CPU into a motherboard, for safety it defaults to 100MHz Front Side Bus speed. 2500+ run at 166Mhz for a clock speed of 1833MHz ;)

Bear in mind that your RAM may not be able to handle this high speed as it is PC2100 (133MHz default). However if it is Micron, Crucial or Samsung RAM you may have a chance of a good overclock with it.

I suggest you bump the FSB up about 5MHz at a time (Set the options in the BIOS to "user defined") and test each time with Memtest86 - www.memtest86.com - Let it do one run and if there are any errors then your RAM has been pushed too high and the last stable setting is the one you should use. Your motherboard can give more voltage to the RAM but unless you have good airflow over it this isn't advised. If your RAM craps out then you can increase the multiplier instead - the 2500 has a default of 11x and you can increase it up to 12.5x. So long as you keep the overall speed of the CPU below or at stock speed then you shouldn't need to mess with the Vcore.

it sits at 1.1 ghz because 1.1 ghz is a unknown PR rating.. all you have to do is bump that fsb to 166 and it'll read 2500+

Yea like the guys said set your FSB to 166mhz and set your RAM divider to 80% that will run your CPU at Xp2500+ (1.83ghz) and will run your ram at Pc2100 (133mhz).

That should make your system run fine at "stock". If you start overclocking after that................... :D

[L337 M33P wrote] ...the 2500 has a default of 11x and you can increase it up to 12.5x. So long as you keep the overall speed of the CPU below or at stock speed then you shouldn't need to mess with the Vcore.

Ok, newbie. Isn't speed = freq x multipler. On the Barton 2500+ it's 11x166 right? So how can I raise the multiple to 12.5 without raising the speed (do I lower the freq, is so doesn't that slow the speed down cancelling out the overclocking?).

yes you would lower the FSB and up the Multiplier to achieve the same frequncy.

generally your cpu will perform better with a higher FSB and a lower multiplier

Ok thanks. I was thinking about getting the Barton 2500+ with a NF7-S and running it at 11x200 (which seems to be the favorite setting looking at other posters).

Since I'm raiseing the speed I need to raise the core voltage too (1.75V seems to come up a lot).

Question: Again newbie. So I d/loaded Memtest86. I raise the FSB until the ram craps out (or 200), but how do I know how much to raise the VCore (safely) to keep everything running.

Thanks in advance

usually when i get a new chip and after finding the max stable fsb speed. i up the multiplier till i get the blue screen of death or a no post, then up the voltage just a little. then reboot. if it doesn't boot into windows, up the voltage just a tad more! but always keep an eye on the temps in bios upon beboot to make sure you are not over heating! keep repeating the process till you reach the desired clock speed and temps.

goodluck!

Download Prime95 to test your stability CPU , FSB and memory wise. It will give you a very good indication of how stable your system is.

As reguards the "finding the max FSB" , ive had some crazy results with the Abit NF7-S. Change the multiplier and your FSB limit goes up or down......

Ie 9.5 multi -> will post and be totally prime stable @ 244mhz FSB
10 multi -> 222mhz FSB
12 multi -> 209mhz FSB

Im using water cooling and my cpu hits 2480mhz with 1.87v no probs 24hrs+ Prime stable (windows 2580mhz with that voltage). My ram hits 250mhz FSB no probs. My PSU cant be the problem........
The only thing that changes is the multi.

Experts shed any light???

Ok, I've d/loaded prime95 and MemTest-86 v3.0. Question, how long do you normally let these programs run to consider you system stable? The faqs on their urls just say several hours.

Thanks for answering all the newbie questions, I'm going to try to build this system (NF7-S + Barton 2500) next weekend.

well, as long as you can afford actually. (days)
does not mean you can't do anything else in the meantime with your computer.
also, test with other programs as well, like CPU Burn, Fold@home, 3DMark...

Days huh... Ok, based on Walldow's post (and keeping in mind that this is my first attempt to OC) the plan is:

Target goal 11x200, no changes to memory

1) Set 8x166
2) Raise the FSB until no post or 200 target
3) Raise the multipler until no post or 11 target
4) Then up the Vcore (if necessary) from 1.65 to no more than 1.75 (will lower multipler to keep core voltage down)
5) Once everything posts and winXP boots up, run Prime95 overnight.

Does that sounds like a reasonable plan for a newbie :)

Thanks. So next Friday either Fry's or newegg.com for NF7-2, Barton 2500+ and 1 GB of PC3200 DDR. Should be fun. Actually I'm toying with the idea of trying out my 2600+ 266FSB (old CPU, forget what AMD was calling them back then but it's not longer produced, 333FSB only these days).

Wish me luck!

Back