• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the max OC i can achieve?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Heatsinkguy

Disabled
Hi,
Here is my system details.
Amd Athlon XP 1.67ghz 2000+ with Stepping 2
PC2100 Corsair Brand 512MB ddr ram
100 Gig Western Digital
10 gig Quantom
Shuttle AK32A 266mhz motherboard

What i want to do is increase my proccessor speed from 1.67ghz to 2ghz but i cannot do that because my proccessor is locked and has the palmino core.
So i want to raise the defualt 133(266mhz ddr) FSB to 166(333mhz ddr) FSB so i can achieve 2ghz ( 166 *12.5= 2ghz).
First of all is it safe to do this(ill be doing it 5mhz at a time)?
Second of all can my pc2100 ram handle 333mhz?
If it cant, i have a bios option that will allow me to LOCK the ram speed at 133(266mhz ddr).
And will my hardrives and pci card handle the 333mhz fsb?
Dont worry about my cooling because i have slk-900(a) and 4 tornado 119 cfm fans in there lol.

Thx,
Dave

It is quite unlikely that you'll get 2 Ghz...

though not entirely impossible.

I got mine to around 1.85Ghz, that was using 1.85v, Alpha PAL8045 and a Delta 80mm screamer.

I don't think your PCI components would agree with the 25% increase in Mhz... unless you have a 1/5 divider.

does your motherboard support higher multipliers? if it does, then set the multipliers with the wires in socket method.

about the RAM, it should probably be able to do 166Mhz.

Last edited:
I want to unlock the multipliers and are you SURE that my ram can handle 166mhz? Because iam like total broke and dont wanna spend 80 bucks on ram because of my pc2100 burning.

With the Palomino core, you will not be getting 2ghz. I'd say that you're more likely to get about 1.8ghz out of it.

I'm not sure how far you'll get with the FSB. If the motherboard does not implement a divider to allow the PCI and AGP speeds to remain the same, you won't get very far and it won't be safe for your hard drives. I don't believe you have this feature though Imay be wrong. Just take it slowly and be careful to test out the stability.

I'm not sure at all about your RAM getting 166FSB, I'm just saying that it is quite possible, depending on how recent your RAM is, and the voltage options of your motherboard.

if you are not sure, just keep your ram running at 133Mhz. That's probably safest, although you lose a little bit of performance.

I think the most important piece of info would be what PCI dividers your motherboard supports.

edit:

I just checked... I was actually running 161Mhz FSB and 40Mhz PCI when I was on 1st page of the ORB with that 1856Mhz 2000+. Look here

so I suggest that if you aim for 1.85Ghz, which is possible, don't unlock your multiplier, and shoot for 148FSB, 36.7Mhz PCI. That your RAM should be able to handle as well.

Last edited:
Back