• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is holding me back????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

james.miller

i just can not do it. i can not get past 230mhz fsb w/interfact enabled in any way whatsoever. Yes, it's driving me crazy.

ram?

* dont think so, even 11,5,5,2.5 @ 2.9v wont let me do it.
* it will do 230 with the interface disabled
* being single or dual chanel makes no difference whatsoever

northbridge?

* possible - but normally people can gain at least 5mhz by running single channel
* voltage already at 1.7v - cant get any higher without mods

L12 mod?

* tried it - again, it makes absoultly no difference when it should.

cpu?

* nope. tried all multies from 8 to 10 at 230mhz fsb - none worked.

what else is there guys?

Okay, here come the random thoughts that pass through my head :)

How are your voltage rails looking? Stable? Or can you use them to work out your CPU load? :D

How about Vcore - is that being cranked up also?

How about the PCI / AGP dividers? Are your PCI /AGP buses being pushed too far?

Failing that, try doing a bare setup, and seeing if it's some of your other hardware.

james.miller said:
i just can not do it. i can not get past 230mhz fsb w/interfact enabled in any way whatsoever. Yes, it's driving me crazy.

ram?

* dont think so, even 11,5,5,2.5 @ 2.9v wont let me do it.
* it will do 230 with the interface disabled
* being single or dual chanel makes no difference whatsoever

northbridge?

* possible - but normally people can gain at least 5mhz by running single channel
* voltage already at 1.7v - cant get any higher without mods

L12 mod?

* tried it - again, it makes absoultly no difference when it should.

cpu?

what else is there guys?

My bet is either PSU or motherboard.

Do you have really good cooling on the NB?
Mosfet cooling?
The little FSB controller chip cooling? (its kidna right above the Mosfets, could yeild more mhz)

Is your PSU bad-assed enough? It could be limiting your OC.

hmmm. rails are fine. 12v reported as 11.73 and we all know nf7's are down as far as voltages go.

northbridge? stock cooling

No cooling on the mosfets, but they are bearly warm.

vcore? 1.8v at around 2.35ghz presently

pic/agp lock? not a problem on nforce boards:)

psu? could be, but i cant pass 230mhz no matter what other settings i use, so it doesnt really say "psu" to me:(

as in??

the northbridge is no problem, thats being sorted soon. as for everything else, if its not hot then i cant see how cooling would help it????

I would say that 11.73 is kinda low for the 12+. What about your 5+ and 3.3? 1.7vdd if fine but I think that you should maybe try the vdd mod. If you can hit 225+ with 1.7 you never know you might get 245 with 1.9 or something.

jonspd said:
I would say that 11.73 is kinda low for the 12+. What about your 5+ and 3.3? 1.7vdd if fine but I think that you should maybe try the vdd mod. If you can hit 225+ with 1.7 you never know you might get 245 with 1.9 or something.

yeah it is low but nf7's report the rails low anyway. i'll test it with my multimeter soon to be sure. anyway the rest of the rails are pretty much spot on and and dont fluctuate at all.

the vdd mod is the next mod im thinking about. pencil trick folllowed by a straight replacement of the resistor and the nb's heatsink:)

Well dont fell bad about not be able to get 230 stable I can only run about 220 100 % stable.

After doing the vdd mod I would suggest that you ONLY check your voltage at the soldered point, not the other one. People (including me), have had weird arcing across that other point (what's the name for it?), which fries that damn mobo. :(

LMAO so thats what happen when I lost my board and DLT3C 1700+. O well I needed another board and chip anyway.

james.miller numerous ppl on abit forums have reported that when going on fsbs 230 and higher chipset voltage actually needs to be reduced, i would try decreasing it to 1.6 and then 1.5... don't ask me for an explanation since i couldn't fine one and i looked.... :p

it's worth a try i think...

if nothing else works i would try cooling the mosfets(even though they don't seem to get hot) and the 2 pll chips that supposedly regulate fsb speeds... i'm sure you've seen cheap bga sinks on sale at cyber deals....

also, maybe your memory is maxed out? you're approaching pc3700 speeds here so maybe the ram can't handle it? ...

gl

EDIT:
cpu?

btw what exactly happens? does the computer not boot or does it automatically pick some other multi? i'm sure you're aware of the problem with all bios higher than 1.0 that prevents you from using certain multies(9, 9.5, 10, 10.5 but it varies often) with fsbs greater than ~230 with cpu interface enabled... maybe you should try a different bios....

Last edited:
no it boots, just the same problem every time. generally unstable and crashes within a few minutes. thanks for the advice, ill try that:)

yeah def get some cooling on that board. i put sinks on almost everything in there. i think the coils are the only parts i haven't sinked and only because i don't beleive it to be possible.

def. upgrade the NB and SB sinks though. specially if you're volt modding.

Back