• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Opteron vs FX for a home server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brunt

Alright....well, not TOOOOO worried about price, but which would be better? A dual Opteron setup, or a single FX-51 CPU?

Opterons can be as low as $230 a cpu, and just as high as a FX-51 CPU. Would dual 1.8ghz be faster then a single 2.2FX? The 1.8ghz ops are almost $700, where the single FX-51 is $750.

I guess I should tell you what I am using it for. Its for a 2003 server(AD/Domain), file server, and ftp server. I am also going to be using it for encoding home movies(Christmas time almost here, gonna make a Family history DVD.) Dont laugh at me! I am spending all my money on this! ;)

Again, I have some money to play with so I am still on a budget, but I can go over what I want to spend. I "Want" to spend about...$2000. Onboard video, sound, NIC all that..I want the most computing power as possible. I have a case already. All I need is...

Motherboard, CPU(s), RAM..I have about $2000 for that.

Maybe I should just wait a few more months? I wont be able to buy everything for another month anyway. I got a 2nd job, and working $65/hrs week for the new job is awesome for the check comming in weekly :)

ok I LIED, its not $65/hr week, its 65 hrs a week @ $10/hr lol

oops :eek:

Last edited:
I'd wait a little if i were you. Prices will drop in the next two months, and better boards will be out for both models. I'd say a dual opteron 1.4 or 1.6 would be the best cost/performance ratio. Either of those models would be able to provide better performance over a single 2.2 ghx fx-51.

Mmmm dually opteron :drool:

I am loving my dually for any non-gaming chores. Not that it is bad at gaming but it really shines when multi tasking and running multithreaded apps.

Back