• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can KT400 motherboards lock RAM at 133Mhz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shiyan

There's someone I'm trying to help here with a MSI KT4 Ultra, which is based on KT400.

His PC2100 probably won't go past 150Mhz.

So what we need to know is whether KT400 motherboards can lock the RAM frequency at 133Mhz, so that he can run his processor at higher frequencies.

he has not been able to go past 150FSB, and so his Tbred is running at 1780Mhz, and we're all trying to find out what the best upgrade for him would be.

seeing from this picture you'd think it is possible:

bios.jpg

but then I sawthis thread which seems to suggest that it is not possible.

I'm stumped.

so any help appreciated.

if you know the answer for sure, please visit the other thread and post your comments there as well.

Last edited:
er. ram frequency is the FSB. you can't lock that and overclock a proc via FSB at the same time, because THEY'RE THE SAME THING.

your friend's only hope is to keep the fsb at 133, and increase proc multiplier. or increase ram voltage.

are you speaking from experience with a KT400 board?

you do know that with Intel P4 motherboards what I said is perfectly possible right?

also it is quite possible to run RAM and CPU at different speeds, either using CPU:RAM ratios or something like RAM=FSB-33, or FSB+33...

If you are in fact speaking from experience with a KT400 motherboard, then thank you.

i do not know of a kt board with fsb/dram ratios selectable in bios. sorry bro. It could be possible if the manufacturer included the option into the bios. i am unsure if it's a limitation with the kt chipsets, or if it's just left out. there are some sis 266 boards i know of that can run async fsb/mem. Looking at your bios screeny i do not see any X/X options. so i believe you are out of luck with that board. tell your friend he should get some faster ram. That board should be matched with at least pc2700.

J.

J.

Thanks. it must be the older AMD motherboards I am thinking of then.

the only AMD board with ratios I've had is this NF7-S.

I do remember an old board which had the option to run the RAM 33Mhz faster or slower than the FSB. Could have been single data rate board...

but thanks. I'll advize him to get faster RAM. (I think he's planning on doing so anyway.)

I have an Abit KD7-Raid, with the KT 400 chipset, and i also ran into that problem. I have tried everything, and still to no avail. I ended up just raising my multiplier and that worked fine.

I am the one shiyan tries to help and thank you all, now i know what to get first and that is faster RAM then i should be getting better FSB's.

Back